What is a First Year Navigator?
First Year Navigators engage with incoming students to build a greater sense of belonging to High Point University and the support network at the University.
What is the purpose of a First Year Navigator?
Below are some of the responsibilities of First Year Navigators:
- Serve as a source of information for prospective students and their parents during Open House events
- Serve as a liaison between the Student Success Team and freshmen students
- Provide support to assigned freshmen (approximately 10 – 20) that correspond to the Navigator’s major/experience at HPU
- Coordinate student participation to events created by Student Success and High Point University
- Instruct freshmen students on how to use the various academic systems (Blackboard, Starfish, Student Planner, My Stuff, etc.) and to develop their self-sufficiency in utilizing these tools
Want to know what it takes to be a FYN?
Roles/Duties of First Year Navigators:
- Attend a Navigator training session(s)
- Interact with peers at a minimum of one Orientation Weekend (Friday and Saturday) or Open House event (Saturday), and assist Student Success Coaches with various duties at those events
- Support approximately 10-20 assigned freshmen in the corresponding major from Orientation Weekend through the following January
- Attend and facilitate student attendance at Faculty Meet and Greet event
- Coordinate student participation in clubs and campus events
- Instruct students in using Blackboard and Starfish
- Assist student during registration with navigating My Stuff and Student Planner
- Assist faculty at events as needed throughout the fall semester and encourage student participation
How do I become a FYN?
Contact your Student Success Coach to learn more about the program and how to apply.