Summer Experience is High Point University’s nationally recognized program that prepares entering freshmen for a successful first year on campus. It has been recognized as one of the ten best programs of its kind in the United States, one of seven national programs for retention excellence and featured as a model program at both national and international conferences. Selection criteria for these recognitions included program excellence and the subsequent academic performance of students who completed the program. Since the program’s beginning in 1988 (originally called Summer Advantage), our research has proven that students who have completed the summer program have achieved higher GPAs and have produced much higher graduation rates than have comparable groups of students who did not participate.
Ask any former Summer Experience student and they will tell you that Summer Experience was the best way for them to begin college. Nationally, the top concern of entering freshmen is making friends. Summer Experience reduces this freshman anxiety and supplies additional advantages mentioned by over 2750 students who have participated in and completed High Point University’s unique summer program:
- Make new friends and avoid freshman anxieties
- Earn credits towards graduation
- Complete/change registration for the upcoming fall semester
- Prepare/review more productively; manage test anxiety
- Become familiar with campus and community places
- Improve textbook reading, note taking and review skills
- Improve motivation and time management
- Receive help from tutors, other students and caring faculty
- Earn higher GPAs with greater retention and graduation rates
- Enjoy special activities, programs and personal development workshops
- Self-discovery and self-responsibility training
- Improve self-confidence
- Discover/use learning style for academic success
- Improve writing skills and critical thinking
- Adjust to college; transition to adult life
Summer Experience Makeup
Summer Experience is designed and intended for any entering freshman to High Point University who wants to start their HPU experience early, build academic confidence, and make many friends in their freshman class. Summer Experience serves as a great microcosm of the entering freshman class with students coming from over 30 different states each year.
Summer Experience Success
The greatest value of Summer Experience is the personal growth and development of the individual and the transition to college of the student. Likewise, academic preparation and success are equally important values gained from participation in Summer Experience. Students learn the actual expectations of college coursework.
Summer Experience has consistently served as the beginning point for many of High Point University’s student leaders. Beginning with freshman class officers to student government positions, to student body president and then to student and university awards for leadership.
Finally, Summer Experience students have consistently proven to be academically successful with nearly 25% each year making the Dean’s List in the fall semester.