Summer Advantage is High Point University’s nationally recognized program that prepares entering freshmen for a successful first year on campus. It has been recognized as one of the ten best programs of its kind in the United States, one of the top seven national programs for retention excellence and featured as a model program at both national and international conferences. Selection criteria for these recognitions include program excellence and the subsequent academic performance of students who completed the program. Since the program’s beginning in 1988, our research has proven that students who have completed the summer program have achieved higher GPAs and have produced much higher graduation rates than have comparable groups of students who did not participate.
Ask any former Summer Advantage (formerly Summer Experience) student and they will tell you it was the best way for them to begin college. Nationally, the top concern of entering freshmen is making friends. Summer Advantage reduces this freshman anxiety and also offers our new Panthers countless other benefits. In fact, the over 2,750 students who have successfully participated in and completed High Point University’s unique summer program have highlighted numerous advantages, including:
- Making new friends and avoiding freshman anxieties
- Earning credits towards graduation
- Completing/changing registration for the upcoming fall semester
- Preparing/reviewing more productively; managing test anxiety
- Becoming familiar with campus and community places
- Improving textbook reading, note taking and review skills
- Improving motivation and time management
- Receiving help from tutors, other students and caring faculty
- Earning higher GPAs with greater retention and graduation rates
- Enjoying special activities, programs and personal development workshops
- Self-discovery and self-responsibility training
- Improving self-confidence
- Discovering/using personalized learning styles for academic success
- Improving writing skills and critical thinking
- Adjusting to college; transitioning to adult life
Summer Advantage Makeup
Summer Advantage is designed and intended for any entering freshman to High Point University who wants to start their HPU experience early, build academic confidence, and make friends in their freshman class. Summer Advantage serves as a dynamic microcosm of the entering freshman class with students coming from over 30 different states each year.
Summer Advantage Success
The greatest value of Summer Advantage is the personal growth and development of the individual and the transition to college of the student. Likewise, academic preparation and success are equally important values gained from participation in Summer Advantage. Students learn the actual expectations of college coursework.
Summer Advantage has consistently served as the beginning point for many of High Point University’s student leaders. Beginning with freshman class officers to student government positions, to student body president and then to student and university awards for leadership.
Finally, Summer Advantage students have consistently proven to be academically successful with nearly 25% each year making the Dean’s List in the fall semester.