During the next few months, students will be receiving admission letters and scholarship offers from a number of schools. As a parent, it can be challenging to offer proper guidance with the hefty and often nerve-wracking college decision process. However, one thing to always keep in mind is the importance of finding the right fit. Every student is different and has unique values and priorities. Beyond the amount of scholarships offered, the overall cost of the school, or the distance from home, be sure you’re guiding your children to choose a school that mirrors their character and will help them flourish into the person they hope to become.
1. Our Motto: At High Point University every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. We live it, we mean it, we execute it!
2. Academics: Academics come first at High Point University. To that end, in the fall of 2010 we implemented the restructuring of the University curriculum to a four-hour core. This is a strictly academic move that will increase diversity, rigor, and student engagement and allow for greater depth and breadth of study at all levels. It’s a 21st century curriculum for 21st century students.
3. Character-Building: High Point University is listed on The Templeton Guide’s Top 100 Honor Roll for character-building colleges and universities. We believe in a holistic approach to education, where learning extends well beyond the classroom walls.
4. The President’s Seminar: As a freshmen at High Point, your son or daughter will have the unique opportunity to take the President’s Seminar from Dr. Nido Qubein, a man who came to America at 17 years of age with no money, no connections, and little knowledge of English and went on to become one of this country’s top business leaders, speakers, and authors. The President will teach all freshmen in a required class revealing his strategies for success in business and in life, covering topics from the fundamentals of leadership to persuasive presentation techniques to self-esteem and confidence.
5. Bragging Rights: High Point University is on the move! We are consistently named the # 1 School to Watch in our category by U.S. News & World Report and #3 and rising among comprehensive colleges in the South. This year Forbes Magazine named HPU among the top 7% of colleges nationwide and Parade Magazine named High Point as one of the top 25 private liberal arts universities in America!
6. Experiential Learning: HPU students can study abroad for a May term, summer term, or full semester at over 20 countries around the world, focusing on subjects such as Art in Italy, Business and Economics at Oxford University in England, Chinese life and culture in China, or Sports Management at Bond University in Australia! Additionally, our Career Counseling Center is available to students from day one, helping your son or daughter engage in real life experiences and plan for internships that lead to a solid career path or graduate school.
7. The Campus Concierge: Need information on local shopping, restaurants or movie listings? Need advice on local transportation? Perhaps your student needs a repair in his or her dorm room. The Campus Concierge is here to help! From organizing transportation to airports during University breaks to making dinner reservations when you come to visit your student, the Campus Concierge is a one-stop-shop for all the information and services you or your student need.
8. Dorm Life: Our on-campus living is second to none! All of our residence hall rooms are either brand new or recently renovated, so your student feels secure in his or her home away from home. Click here to view our virtual tours!
9. Moral Values: We believe you can’t teach values, but you can model them, and we do that every day with things like our free snack kiosks modeling the value of generosity, our Concierge desks and community service opportunities modeling the value of service to others, and our ice cream truck modeling the value of joy. Our students feel that we care about them and when that happens, they in turn care more deeply for others.
10. The WOW Factor: At High Point University, the Director of “WOW!” works with staff members campus-wide to ensure that our students live in an extraordinary, very clean, and safe environment. From statues and quotes of great thinkers in history to live concerts—like O.A.R. and Gavin DeGraw—to academically stimulating guest speakers like Rudy Giuliani, Bill Cosby, Tom Friedman, Mitch Albom, Justice Clarence Thomas, and this year’s commencement speaker, Lance Armstrong, High Point University is an inspiring place!
To truly know if a school is the right fit for your son or daughter, you just have to see it for yourself. I invite you to visit High Point University and hope to see you on campus soon!