Wow, parents, can you believe move-in day is just around the corner? In just a few months we’ll be helping you unload carfuls of dorm supplies and welcoming your pride and joy to his or her new home. As you consider this time of transition, be sure to discuss the following points with your college-bound kiddo.
1. Create a vision of what you want to accomplish in college and put it in writing. Such as:
a. Make the Dean’s List
b. Study Abroad in Italy
c. Graduate with Honors
d. Join or lead a student organization
e. Have internships with __________
2. Create a plan for this semester and then this first year that will help you move toward fulfilling your vision. Such as:
a. Maintain a GPA of 3.5 or better
b. Meet with the Director of Study Abroad Programs
c. Attend the Student Life Organizations Fair
d. Make at least three to five new friends.
3. Go to every class. EVERY class.
4. When you schedule your time to go to class each day, also schedule time in your day to study.
5. Find a quiet place on campus where you can study and are most productive so that you are using your time wisely.
6. Finish all of your work and studying for next Monday before you leave campus for any weekend.
7. Know your professors before you really need them.
8. Take care of yourself by eating well and getting plenty of sleep.
9. Learn to say NO to things that will keep you from successfully reaching your goals for the semester and year.
10. Get involved in something outside the classroom that will help you grow and learn, but do not over-commit yourself.
BONUS: Stay grounded in your beliefs and be yourself. This is what makes you wonderful and will teach others about believing in yourself and living a fruitful life.
Having been through the college process with all three of my children and watching thousands of incoming freshmen over the years, it’s my believe that these pieces of advice can make a huge impact on your child’s outlook and their success in college. Don’t underestimate your ability to be a positive influence in their lives as they turn the page to this new chapter.