School of Art & Design
Visual Merchandising Design

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a portfolio for admission?

No. However, students will be required to submit a portfolio of work after the completion of INT 1100, 1220, and 1280 in order to enter degree candidacy status.


Do I need to complete 2 applications, one for HPU and one for the Visual Merchandising Design Program?

No. If a student is accepted to HPU, then they may take the freshman level diagnostic courses. Upon successful completion of these courses and passage of the portfolio review, students may enter the degree program.


Do we have internship opportunities while in the university?

Yes. Our proximity to and relationship with the High Point Market provides many opportunities for students to acquire internships–many of which become jobs upon graduation.


Do we have to buy a computer with special requirements for Visual Merchandising Design to use during freshman year? Or can we buy it later?

A laptop is required at the beginning of the sophomore year. Please see computer requirements for specifications. Be advised that the listed computer requirements are for the current year.


Can I major in Visual Merchandising Design and minor in something else? If so, what can I minor in?

Due to the high number of required credits, minoring requires careful planning and may require additional time. Speak to your advisor early to explore and plot out options.


Do I need a recommendation letter?



Are we given the opportunity to study abroad?

Programs across HPU, including those in Interior Design and Art, offer Maymester study abroad experiences. Students in Visual Merchandising Design may also choose to study abroad for the entire semester, spring semester of the junior year, at the Lorenzo de Medici Institute in Florence Italy. Students can complete one of two certificate programs focused on Visual Communication for Fashion or Interior Design. Consult with your advisor as soon as possible in order to plan accordingly.


Are we offered Scholarships?

The Knabush-Shoemaker International School of Home Furnishings and Design has an extensive number of scholarships.


Can we be in the Honors program and the Visual Merchandising Design Program simultaneously?

Yes. Students may participate in the Honors Program while completing their degree requirements.


The High Point Admissions Office is Located in Wrenn Hall.

Tours are available 7 days a week. Please contact us to schedule your visit.
(800) 345-6993
(336) 841-9216
(336) 888-6382 (fax)

Flickr Photostream: School of Art & Design

Art and Design News

Class of 2020 Outcomes: Sarah Nowell Integrates Physics and Graphic Design
read more
Maelee Arnold Presented with HPU’s 2020 Haverty Cup
read more
View All

Visual Merchandising Design at HPU