Like your children, I’m sure you all are looking forward to Freshmen Move-In with excitement and anticipation-and perhaps a bit of trepidation. At High Point University, we understand that move-in day marks the beginning of a huge transition, both for your student and your family. As such, the day itself is incredibly important but can also be lots of fun. You and your student are our top priority, so we do everything we can to make Freshmen Move-In as easy and delightful as possible, so you all can focus on the more exciting aspects of the day!
A few things you WILL NOT have to worry about on Move-In Day:
1. Unloading the car. That’s right, High Point University’s Orientation Crew, comprised of current students, faculty and staff, will do all the hauling from car to dorm room!
2. Picking up textbooks. HPU’s Bookstore will deliver all pre-ordered textbooks to your student’s dorm.
3. Finding something cold to drink. Bottled water stations will be set up throughout campus and at each dorm.
4. Picking up student IDs. If your student attended an Early Registration event, he or she will have an HPU Passport Card waiting in the check-in packet at his or her dorm.
5. Picking up parking passes. If your student registered his or her vehicle online, parking passes will also be waiting in the check-in packet.
6. Keeping your student’s high school-aged siblings entertained. Sibling Orientation starts at 2:30 on Saturday (but please sign up now!) and is designed to give the high school-aged siblings of our new students greater understanding of High Point University, and a bit of fun too!
7. Finding Lunch. We’ll feed you and your family at one of two throughout campus from 11:00-3:00: the NEW University Center or Slane Student Center.
What Happens During Move-In
1. You and your student(s) arrive at High Point University with your vehicle stuffed to capacity. You turn into the entrance where a member of the Admissions team will welcome your student to his or her new home and point you in the right direction.
2. Down the way a bit, another member of the Admissions team will give you a parking slip with your residence hall name that will indicate to the rest of the Orientation Crew where to direct you to park.
3. You’ll pull up to your student’s residence hall and park closeby in the unloading area. Orientation Crew members will descend upon your vehicle, ask for your student’s room number and proceed to unload every last piece of luggage before you realize what’s going on. Meanwhile, your student will check-in, receiving the key to the room, along with other essentials for Orientation.
4. Your car will be unloaded in around 10 minutes, and then you will be directed to park elsewhere. We’ll have shuttles waiting to bring you back to your student’s residence hall.
5. Help your student unpack, meet his or her roommate, grab some lunch and listen to live music, and enjoy our extraordinary campus!
We have activities planned for your students throughout the weekend, but there’s entertainment for all you parents as well! Click here to view the 2009 Orientation Brochure, where you will find a full schedule of events. Make sure to note and attend the Opening Convocation for parents and students at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon in the Millis Center. This is an important and meaningful tradition at High Point and the official passing of the class from Admissions to the faculty. You will not want to miss it!
Additionally, tours of the new Wilson Family School of Commerce and Qubein School of Communication buildings will be available to all visitors on Friday from 9AM- 5PM, Saturday from 9AM-4PM, and Sunday from 9AM-5PM. Simply go to the lobby of either building and someone will be there to show you around these extraordinary new facilities.
We’re looking forward to your student(s) joining the High Point University family!