In the past few weeks, High Point has been ranked by a number of institutions as one of the best schools in the country. Parade Magazine put HPU on their “College A-List,” stating that it is one of the top 25 in the nation. Forbes ranked High Point in the top 7% of higher-education institutions nationwide, and U.S. News & World Report placed High Point as the #3 school in the South – up from #5 last year! What’s most exciting to me about these rankings is that, once published, they’re already a year old. These high honors High Point University has just received rank the school’s accomplishments and character from the previous school year, making these numbers somewhat passé as soon as they’re printed. This year is looking brighter and stronger than any we’ve seen, and we’re excited about the new levels we’re reaching. Just take a look at this year’s freshman class, ready to raise the HPU rankings even more!
1. This class is the single largest incoming class in High Point University’s 86-year history – 1210 freshmen and 75 Transfers strong.
2. The class represents over 44 different states and 14 foreign countries.
3. The freshman class scored the highest ACT and SAT averages of any entering class in the history of High Point University increasing by an Amazing 24 points. Several scored perfect scores or near perfect scores on these exams.
4. The class includes National Merit Scholars, Valedictorians, Salutatorians and High School Class Presidents.
5. They have earned 1513 Advanced Placement Credits. (More than double of any previous class.)
6. 20 freshmen earned the distinction of Eagle Scout or Gold Award recipient.
7. Many freshmen have a brother or sister who currently attends HPU and there are 2 sets of twins and 1 set of triplets in the class of 2014.
8. Miss North Carolina Teen USA is a member of the freshman class.
9. This is a very well traveled group, which has collectively visited over 100 foreign countries from:
- Aruba, Argentina & Australia to
- Belgium, Bolivia, Bermuda & Brazil
- China, Croatia, Guatemala to Haiti
- Iceland, Ireland, India, Israel to Kenya
- Norway, Nicaragua, New Zealand & the Netherlands
- Scotland, Slovania, Spain & Switzerland to
- Turkey, Russia, Venezuela, Vietnam and Zimbabwe
Just to name a few.
10. There are 11 languages spoken fluently among these students.
11. Collectively they also earned significant Athletic recognition:
- In baseball, we have 2 high school All-Americans, 2 all-region selections and a North Carolina All-State selection.
- The men’s basketball team welcomes 4 All-State honorees and 2 McDonald’s All-America nominees
- In women’s basketball we have 2 All-State honorees and a McDonald’s All-America nominee
- We welcome a golf state champion and a golfer who was team captain of the state championship team
- Women’s lacrosse in its inaugural season at HPU welcomes 18 All-Conference selections and 5 All-State honorees
- In men’s soccer we have a high school All-American who was on the No. 1 team in the country, two All-State honorees and a player who was a member of Ireland’s youth national team.
- The women’s soccer team has 4 All-State selections, 2 regional players of the year and a high school All-American.
- In men’s and women’s track, we have 1 state cross country champion, 3 state track champions, and 6 school record holders
- In volleyball, we have 2 All-State selections and a member of the national junior Olympic championship team.
These are just a few of the very talented athletes in this class of 2014!
The freshman class spent their high school years completing thousands of hours of community service including:
- Fund Raising for Cancer Awareness; Juvenile Diabetes; Autism, Cystic Fibrosis and Multiple Sclerosis
- Volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, The Salvation Army; Boys/Girls Clubs; Big Brothers/Big Sisters; Toys for Tots; The Special Olympics, Support the Troops and many, many more.
- Several earned a Presidential Volunteerism award for more than 100 hours of community service.
- Among them is the Founder of “Warm 4 Winter” – a charity to provide winter clothing to those in need
This class is talented and resilient it includes:
- A pilot
- A Mitsubishi spokes model
- Many Model UN participants
- A professional Drag Racer and A Stock Car racer
- 2 Nationally recognized Equestrian riders
- Many Girls State and Boys State participants
- First generation American Citizens
- A National Guard Leadership Award recipient
- A black smith
- Several entrepreneurs who have started their own businesses
- And Many gifted musicians both vocally and instrumentally
These students have the ability to do and to achieve great things, our learned faculty and President will share with them great knowledge and truths, challenge them to think deeper and more critically and give them the opportunity to have meaningful experiences that will prepare them for life and for the future. With a team like this, I’m sure High Point University will outrank its currently outstanding rankings in no time at all!
Andy Bills, Vice President of Enrollment