#HPUMoveIn is quickly approaching and we want to make sure you are ready! Here is a list of 9 freshman must-do’s for the Class of 2020 for your first year at High Point University.
1. Eat at 1924 Prime Steakhouse (make your reservations here)
2. Attend a CAT (Campus Activities Team) event. Welcome Home Bingo will take place on move-in weekend, Sun. Aug. 21 at 9 p.m. in the Slane Center, and some awesome prizes will be up for grabs! (GoPro, HPU Swag, FitBit, PS4, etc.) You can pick up your Fall Activities calendar with events for the whole semester at the Fall Activities Fair on Monday, Aug. 22 1 – 5 p.m.
3. Take pictures in the photo booth in The Point Arcade (and hanging them in your dorm goes without saying!) We’re sure you have already located this!
4. Attend the fall/spring concert. DNCE will be performing Sept. 19. We can’t wait!
5. See a Monday Night Movie in the Extraordinaire Cinema. Check the schedule of movies for this semester!
6. Go to an HPU sporting event, or go to them all! We are all ready for another season of Panther Madness, and it all starts on move-in weekend. Come out to Vert Stadium at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 20 to cheer on the men’s soccer team under the light of a fireworks show. Consider it a welcome home celebration! #gopanthers
7. Try the sushi from the Grille at the Village or the C-Store at Wanek Center.
8. Get a milkshake from Cookout (off campus). If you are from anywhere other than NC, SC, TN or VA (or the loneliest location of Statesboro, GA), you do not have the extreme privilege of having this late-night drive thru with milkshakes straight from heaven five minutes from your front step. But luckily for you, we do. The cups say 42 flavors, but there are no rules at Cook-Out (I personally like the orange push-up with cheesecake bites.)
9. Learn everyone’s name on your dorm hall. Leave your door open, put a welcome sign on your door, and stop in frequently to say hi to your neighbors. Don’t be afraid to make new friends, and don’t forget you aren’t the only one who is new!
In 2 days you will arrive at your new home, but that’s just the beginning! Putting your self out there, making friends and getting involved is really what makes your college experience special and memorable. Like Dr. Qubein says, “You may have the loftiest goals, the highest ideals, and the noblest dreams; but remember this, nothing else works unless you do!”
HPU is an institution of never-ending opportunity– and it’s all available to you! Make it count!
Class of 2020, the largest ever incoming class of freshman: welcome to our family!