Each year, High Point University welcomes a new freshman class to campus. With new students coming in, the university continues to grow in diversity and in numbers. It’s amazing to see how a group of nearly 1,500 students come together while they begin this new experience, but also how they stand out as individuals. High Point University is home to some of the most unique and interesting students and helps them grow and learn while giving them a liberal arts education.
Oprah Winfrey once said: “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others.” Luckily this is exactly the place to do that. The Class of 2020 includes a wide array of students, with different accomplishments and skills so let’s get to know them a little better…
- About 73,000 students inquired to be a part of the Class of 2020.
- This class yields students from 42 different states and 16 different countries.
- Twenty-one percent come from North Carolina.
- The other 79 percent come from around the country and around the globe.
- There are 57 valedictorians, salutatorians, high school class and Student Government presidents and vice presidents and 128 were involved with Student Government.
- There are over 200 members of The National Honor Society.
- Four-hundred eighteen students sent their scores in from Advanced Placement tests, which resulted in over 1,500 credit hours.
- Twenty-nine students earned the highest award in either Boy or Girl Scouts of America.
- Seventy-five people have a sibling that went or currently goes to HPU.
- There are 8 sets of twins and two sets of triplets.
- The most popular girl’s names are Emily, Madison and Olivia.
- The most popular guy’s names are Matthew, John and Michael.
- There are 21 People-to-People Ambassadors.
- Collectively, the Class of 2020 has traveled to over 100 different countries stretching from Argentina to Zimbabwe.
- There are 45 different languages spoken.
The Class of 2020 also holds incredible sports accomplishments, which include:
– 58 All-conference players
– 37 All-State athletes
– 11 All-American athletes
– 5 Academic All-Americans
– 12 Regional Players of the Year
– 1 National Champion
– 17 members from State Championship teams
– 12 members of Regional Championship teams
– 21 students set new school records
– 7 athletes were a part of the United States National Development Teams
– 2 participated on the men’s United States Youth National Team
– There are 3 students who were their county’s Female Athlete or Sportswoman of the Year
– There is one student who is a 5 time National Competitor in Figure Skating
– Another student is a World Champion in Competitive Cheerleading
– There are over 100 team captions and team MVP’s
There are over 92,000 hours of community service completed. Some of the organizations include:
– Habitat for Humanity
– The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
– Read Across America
– Warriors for Wells
– The Special Olympics
– Make a Wish Foundation
– The Food Bank
– The Salvation Army
– The Susan G. Komen Foundation
This class is talented and resilient, it includes:
- A Junior Poet Laureate
- A Gates Millennium Scholar
- A 6 Time National Dance Competitor
- A Stage 4, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma cancer survivor
- The 2015 Military Child of the Year
- A student who graduated high school early in order to train with Olympic Equestrians
- A Top 10 athlete in Rugby
- The founder of Food4KidsGA
- A member of the International Thespian Society
- A member of the Seminole Native American Tribe
- A published author
- A member of the Student Conservation Association for Grand Teton National Park
As you can see High Point University’s Class of 2020 has accomplished so much already. They are so unique and diverse; we can’t wait to see how they grow as individuals during their four years here!
By: Cat Kurban ’18
Admissions Marketing Intern