Nov 07th, 2016

Why I am Grateful for HPU

It’s almost that time of year again. The time where you sit around a table with friends and family and devour turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and my favorite: dessert. But Thanksgiving is also a time where we should reflect on the things that we are thankful for. High Point University serves as many students’ home away from home and here are some of the reasons why…

1. The reminder that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As students are rushing to their early morning classes all the kiosks around campus are stocked with water bottles, apples or pears, Uncrustables and the infamous muffins. Recently as a result of the cooler weather, students have been given the gift of hot chocolate to drink on their way to class as well.
  1. The resources that are available to students. HPU offers free counseling services to any student that wishes to go to them. They are experienced professionals and will most likely help you through anything that might be going on. In addition, there is also the Office of Career and Professional Development where students can get help with their LinkedIn profiles, resumes or applying to jobs and internships.
  1. President Nido Qubein might be the most ~extraordinary~ person on campus. Unlike most university presidents, Dr. Qubein walks around campus frequently and interacts with everyone. He is actually involved with the student community and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Whether it be introducing us to the important guest he is showing around campus, passing out candy on Halloween or taking selfies with us, we see him just about every week.
  1. The abundance of places to study. HPU has libraries, learning commons and study rooms available that are perfect for working on a group project or studying for a test by yourself. These environments actually make it easier for students to study because they lack any distractions and are up to date on the latest technology.
  1. FREE TUTORS. Yes, HPU offers a free tutor center for any student to use. All tutors are students and highly recommended by professors. There is no stigma for needing a tutor here, I mean why wouldn’t you want to do well in a class?
  1. Faculty and staff are always there to lend a helping hand. Professors are required to have office hours outside of class. Some of the food locations are open late at night incase students need food. Anyone helping you will always have a smile on their face because they are genuinely happy to be here. I cannot stress enough how kind and compassionate the faculty and staff is here and how helpful they are in any situation.
  1. The people that you meet and the friends that you make. Speaking from experience, I met my best friend from the Early Registration event March of my senior year in high school. I talk to my older friends that have graduated from HPU every week and I know that I’ll continue to talk to them even after I graduate. My professors have taught me more than I could have hoped for and because of this I know that I will be prepared for any job that I take on.

By: Cat Kurban ’18

Cat Kurban