HPU 2021: Where Should I Live?

The ultimate question once you have decided to attend this extraordinary university is: Where should I live on campus? Well, let me tell you that there is no where bad to live on campus. Each dorm has there own unique set of perks that come along with living there. Feel free to take a look at the Campus Map to see where each building is on campus. One of the amazing amenities that this school offers is the comfort and decor of each building, especially student housing. But don’t simply take my word for it, keep reading and see what students who lived in the dorms thought of them!

BELK:

#29 on the Campus Map

Perks: Near Smith Library and Slane Student Center which is home to: Starbucks, the bookstore, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, Slane fitness center, the Cafe, an outdoor pool and the Post Office.

• suite style with a total of 8 students
  • twin-sized beds
  • two students per room
  • balcony access
  • living room

“My favorite part of living in Belk was that I lived with the 7 other Media Fellow girls and collectively we lived next to the 8 boys. It was really fun sharing the common room, getting to know all the other girls in my suite, while also having my own space to go back to if I needed to focus on homework or something.” Deirdre Logan, Sophomore

BLESSING:

#30 0n the Campus Map

Perks: Right next to Slane Student Center which is the same building as: Starbucks, the bookstore, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, Slane fitness center, the Cafe, an outdoor pool and the Post Office. Also near Smith Library.

• full-sized beds
  • suite style apartment
  • kitchen
  • common room
  • single rooms
  • elevator access

“I loved having my own personal space while also still living with other people and sharing a common space. It was really nice to have a full kitchen and living room so that we could always have friends over, but if I needed to study I could simply close my door.” Katie O’Sullivan, Junior

R.G. WANEK CENTER:

#23 on the Campus Map

Perks: Same building as the Arcade, the Bakery, the Point, the C-Store, Jamba Juice, Farmers Market, the Extraordinaire Cinema and the learning commons.

• full-sized beds
  • double and single room options
  • elevator access
  • adjoining bathroom

“Just being so close to everything as a freshman was huge when it came to getting to know my way around campus and things like that. Also only having to share the bathroom with 3 other people!” Will Peacock, Junior

“Being in the middle of campus was the best part of living in Wanek for me. Everything is so close, especially the different places to eat! I’m also so grateful to have met my suite-mate, she’s my absolute best friend on campus.” Marion Macphail, Sophomore

UNIVERSITY CENTER II:

#23 on the Campus Map

Perks: Close to the UC gym, the business center and right behind the R.G. Wanek Center which has: The Arcade, the Bakery, The Point, the C-Store, Jamba Juice, Farmers Market and the learning commons.

• full-sized beds
  • elevators
  • double and single room options
  • elevator access
  • adjoining bathrooms

“Being so close to the C-Store was key for me, I’m all about the food!” Hayley Mitchell, Junior

“I got a chance to be good friends with boys and girls. The friends I made freshman year are still some of my best friends today. And the full-size beds don’t hurt either!” Martha Stride, Junior

WOMEN’S COMPLEX: (McKewen, North, Yadkin and Wesley Hall)

#28 on the Campus Map

Perks: Sits right next to Smith Library and right outside of Slane Student Center which has: Starbucks, the bookstore, Chik-Fil-A, Subway, Slane fitness center, the Cafe, an outdoor pool and the Post Office.

• all-girls dorm
  • twin-sized beds
  • two girls per room
  • common area on each floor

“I was best friends with all the girls in my hall, everyone has their door open all the time, we share food, we hangout in the common area and there was always someone to hangout with!” Maddie Begin, Junior

“Everyone shared their clothes and food. We always had our doors open and walked to class together, it was so fun. And of course the infamous swing right outside the building!” Sarah Obletz, Junior

“I loved the complex because everyone on my hall always left their doors open and we would all visit each other’s rooms. We all got really close really fast and I made some of my best friends freshman year because of that.” Sarah Brams, Junior

YORK:

#17 on the Campus Map

Perks: Next to the R.G. Wanek Center which has: The Arcade, the Bakery, The Point, the C-Store, Jamba, Farmers and the learning commons.

• twin-sized beds
  • single rooms
  • apartment style with 2, 3, or 4 bedrooms
  • kitchen
  • common areas

“The 24/7 quiet hours was awesome because I never had trouble with other people being loud or noisy. The location was prime because it was in the middle of everything and had a parking lot so nothing was that far away!” SJ Falconite, Senior

FINCH:

#5 on the Campus Map

In fall 2017, Finch will be Honors housing. Perks: Across the street from Slane Student Center which has: Starbucks, the bookstore, Chik-fil-a, Subway, Slane fitness center, the Cafe, an outdoor pool and the Post Office. It sits right on the promenade so you are close to the academic buildings. Near Smith Library as well.

Now you have the ultimate guide to each dorm on campus, so choose wisely! But in reality there is no bad choice. Like I said earlier, each dorm has their own benefits it just depends on what style you prefer most. Freshman year will be one of the best years of your life, with a lot of change happening. Going to college and moving away from home is hard but exciting and now you have a closer look to what you’ll soon be calling your new home. See you at move-in!

Cat Kurban

Cat Kurban ’18