Greeting from the Dean:
I have always believed that creativity is the touchstone of the human experience. It is our inherent desire to express our humanness through art and to improve our lives through design, and to express our humanness through design and to improve our lives through art. Many agree that our global community is embracing the unique problem-solving skills that have been the hallmark of the creative process, making a degree in art and design far more valuable than ever before. At the School of Art and Design we provide a stimulating and inclusive environment that encourages the exchange of ideas and the intellectual and creative development of both students and faculty.
For those wishing to cultivate and advance their creative and critical skills, we invite you to join one of our outstanding programs: Studio Art, Design Studies with a Concentration in Graphic Design, Interior Design, and Visual Merchandising Design.
We also have a number of minors that are a wonderful compliment to any major: art history, studio art, graphic design, museum studies, photography, fashion merchandising, furnishings and product marketing, and visual merchandising design.
John C. Turpin, Ph.D., FIDEC
Dean, School of Art and Design
If you would like additional information or have questions about our program, please contact Diane Stenersen at (336) 888-6355 or email@example.com.
The mission of High Point University’s School of Art and Design is to:
- create a stimulating and inclusive environment that encourages the exchange of ideas and the intellectual and creative development of faculty and students;
- prepare globally aware students for continued growth in a diverse range of fields by instilling professional values and fostering the ability to engage in critical inquiry through a variety of creative methods;
- cultivate an appreciation for artistic expression, understanding of visual literacy, and awareness of design in the university and surrounding communities.
The School of Art and Design…
- Values the role of the artist and designer as an individual who can facilitate social/cultural change at a local and global level.
- Values the creative thought and expression of all people.
- Values intellectual curiosity and the drive to independently pursue a question, thought or idea with passion and vigor.
- Values collaborative working environments that inspire interdisciplinary exploration.
- Values the centrality of experiential learning as a crucial component of the educational process.