Class of 2021 Outcomes: Caroline Thomas Migrates to Medical School

Aug 04th, 2021

IMG 4309

With another Commencement behind us, High Point University graduates will be commencing prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2021:

Name: Caroline Thomas

Hometown: Henderson, Neveda

Major: Sociology and anthropology with a minor in biology

Post-graduation plans: Thomas will be attending Wake Forest School of Medicine for medical school.

How HPU helped you get there: “When I came into college, I had the very lofty goal of getting into medical school and my path to get there began with me selecting music as my major. Even before I set foot on campus, my success coach played a very active role in balancing my music and science interests. Early on in freshman year, I also sought out a pre-med advisor just so that I could create a plan for my four years at HPU that would encompass all of my interests. Even after I changed my major to sociology and anthropology, all of my advisors graciously assisted as I planned my classes and my future career. HPU helped me by supporting my goals and helping me take tangible steps in that direction. With my goals for my education, I was daring to take a unique path, and I am so grateful that HPU was supportive of that dream and willing to dare along with me. I used the Office of Career and Professional Development several times. During my freshman year, I visited to work on my resume and cover letter for an on-campus job to which I was applying. In the following years, CPD gave me a place where I could process my dreams, goals, and ambitions, and turn those abstract ideas into concrete steps that I could take towards medical school. The office helped me set up shadowing and medical volunteering opportunities over the summer. This was an incredibly valuable experience that strengthened my application. During the application cycle, this office was a constant source of support from revising my personal statement to conducting mock video interviews with me as my interview season approached. I firmly believe that CPD helped me uncover my confidence and therefore was crucial in my path to medical school.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “My most impactful mentor at HPU was Dr. Wommack. He was incredibly helpful in my path towards medical school. We first met as he was my organic chemistry instructor, Dr. Wommack always took the time during our meetings to make sure that I understood what I needed to. He had a strong belief that the class wasn’t just hard, just new. At one of these sessions, he suggested that I get involved in medical volunteering that would combine science and sociology. This is what prompted me to get involved at the Community Clinic of High Point, which provides free care to medically underserved individuals living in High Point. After finishing his class, I served as a tutor and SI in organic chemistry, and was able to share Dr. Wommack’s wisdom with the classes to come. That was the takeaway lesson from that class and my experiences with Dr. Wommack, no matter how big the challenge may seem, you are equipped with everything you need to succeed.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was getting to graduate in person. COVID was a struggle for many reasons, but among them was the worry that my ability to celebrate my accomplishments with friends and family would be lost. Against all odds, HPU delivered an incredible ceremony. It was the perfect culmination to the rollercoaster of the past four years and it was beautifully done. It was a memory that I will cherish forever.”

Advice for underclassmen: “While I am only a few months post-graduation, I think the most valuable advice I could give would be to enjoy your time in undergrad and to use it as an avenue to explore who you are. Undergrad is the first time most people live away from their parents and it is an incredibly crucial time for self-development. College can challenge and change you, but I think that serves as the most important lesson of all: to figure out what drives you. What is your passion? What keeps you grounded? What kind of lifestyle will get you excited to wake up each morning? Learning about yourself and answering those kinds of questions will give you incredible insight into the kind of life you want to live and in what job or field you will be successful. Use that knowledge and passion, and no matter what you do, you’ll be the best version of yourself. To me, that is the best version of success that anyone can hope to achieve.”