Counseling Services offers a variety of workshops, groups, and trainings throughout the year!
Call 336.888.6352 to register!
- Focuses on helping you understand anxiety symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) understanding anxiety, (2) introducing a method for slowing down and disentangling the experience of anxiety, and (3) developing alternative responses to anxiety. By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for managing anxiety.
- Tuesdays at 2pm
- Wednesdays at 3pm
BRIDGE to Healthy Relationships
- Focuses on identifying ways to foster healthy relationships via self-monitoring, effective communication, and conflict resolution skills. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to help you: (1) better understand your values and boundaries in relationships, (2) learn the role of culture in communication, different styles of communication, and strategies for effective communication, and (3) identify common causes of conflict and effective conflict management techniques.
- Tuesdays at 11am
Getting Unstuck from Depression
- Focuses on helping you understand depressive symptoms and build skills to manage these symptoms. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) understanding depression, (2) exploring how thoughts and behaviors impact depression, and (3) addressing how you can begin to make changes to thoughts and behaviors in order to better manage depression. By the end of the workshop, you will have your own individualized plan for getting unstuck!
- Currently not offered for Spring 2021
Seeking Emotional Serenity from Emotional Distress
- Informed by dialectical behavior therapy and is designed for students who experience overwhelming emotions that feel difficult to manage. The three sessions are divided into content that builds upon itself. The sessions include modules dedicated to: (1) distress tolerance, (2) emotion regulation, and (3) mindfulness. By the end of the workshop, you will have strategies for better managing overwhelming emotions.
- Currently not offered for Spring 20201
- This program is available for High Point University students who have four months or more into active, abstinent recovery from an addiction with a commitment to ongoing sobriety. Students who have not yet reached four months but are committed to abstinence are eligible for support from Office of Counseling Services. Students who are interested in this group must schedule a consultation by calling 336.888.6352. Please indicate you are interested in the Recovery Adventures group.
- Currently not offered for Spring 20201
Spring 2021 Trainings
Mental Heath First Aid Training
HPU and Clover are proud to present this virtual training. Participation includes viewing a 2-hour prerecorded webinar prior to attending a live training. Access to the webinar and training will be made available upon registration. Learn to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders in your community.
Live Training Dates:
Friday, February 12 from 11:00am-5:00pm
Thursday, March 11 from 11:00am-5:00pm
This training is FREE*. Spots are limited. RSVP at clovered.org or by calling 512-494-4556. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org and request the registration flyer.
Suicide Prevention: Question, Persuade, Refer
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer – the 3 simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide. The mission of QPR is to reduce suicidal behaviors and save lives by providing innovative, practical and proven suicide training. The signs of crisis are all around us. We believe that quality education empowers all people, regardless of their background, to make a positive difference in the life of someone they know. This 2 hour training is currently being held virtually! This training is open to student, staff and faculty.
QPR Training Dates for Spring 2021:
- Tuesday, Feb 9th from 9a-11:30a (virtual training )- Students
- Friday, Feb 26th from 1p-3:30p (virtual training )- Faculty and Staff/Students
- Tuesday, March 9th from 9a-11:30a (virtual training)- Faculty and Staff (during Spring Break)
- Friday, Apr 9th 12p-2:30p (virtual training)- Students
Members of the HPU community can register for these trainings by logging onto HPU Connect (https://involved.highpoint.edu/, searching for “Panther Prevention” and selecting the training date of their choice.