May 27th, 2019

Reflections on our journey…

It’s Dr. Blosser here to blog for the last time on our trip.  What a great group and a fabulous two weeks! Today is our final full day in D.C. and we spent the morning in class debriefing all we’ve seen and learned. There was a general consensus that we’ve all learned more about ourselves- myself included- in terms of our values, strengths, and our philosophies and visions for teaching. Likewise, I don’t think any of us realized just how many resources and professional development opportunities existed for teachers, especially from national museums and organizations. We all came away with new ideas for engaging students.

Then, we also witnessed what can be achieved when educational leaders prioritize equity and have high standards for teachers and students. And I think we all felt the “teacher love” on this trip. There are so many organizations that are rooting for and supporting teachers and know that we hold one of the most important jobs in the world!

Finally, there was the recognition of the various levels of policy and decision-making that have real impact on teachers and students. But with that recognition comes increased responsibility- students shared with me their newfound understanding of the need to tell policymakers what it is like to be a teacher in 2019 and what teachers need to do their jobs well. Through using our voices, both individually and collectively, we can bring about change.

We concluded our trip by spending the afternoon at the Nationals game, and as we rode the Metro home, I was telling students how thankful I was that the group meshed so easily. I couldn’t have asked for a better group, and I feel confident that each of them will make an excellent teacher. My hope for them is that they leave this trip more self-aware, more empowered, and more prepared to become leaders in their schools. Until next year…