Wellness is not merely diet and exercise. The idea of wellness or well-being encompasses mean different things. At High Point University, we integrate a holistic approach that includes the following dimensions: social, emotional, spiritual, environmental, occupational, intellectual and physical wellness. Each of these seven dimensions interact in a way that helps improve and support a healthy quality of life.
- Social Wellness is the ability to relate, establish and maintain positive relationships with the people around us, including: family, friends and co-workers.
- Emotional Wellness is the ability to understand ourselves and cope with the challenges life can bring. As well as acknowledging and sharing feelings of anger, fear, sadness or stress; hope, love, joy and happiness in a productive manner.
- Spiritual Wellness is the ability to establish peace and harmony with a sense of purpose. It is also the ethics and beliefs that provide direction in our lives.
- Environmental Wellness is understanding our own responsibility for the quality of the air, the water and the land that surrounds us and making a positive impact on this environment.
- Occupational Wellness is the ability to gain fulfillment from our jobs or our chosen career fields by utilizing our gifts, skills and talents while maintaining balance in the other areas our lives.
- Intellectual Wellness is the ability to engage in lively interaction while opening our minds to new ideas and experiences. The desire to learn new concepts, improve skills and seek challenges in pursuit of lifelong learning contributes to our Intellectual Wellness.
- Physical Wellness is the ability to maintain healthy lifestyle behaviors that improve the quality of life which allows us to go through our daily activities without experiencing undue fatigue or physical stress. It is also recognizing that these behaviors have a significant impact on our wellness and adopting healthful habits (routine check ups, a balanced diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) while avoiding destructive habits (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc.) will lead to optimal health.