Office of Student Financial Planning

Withdrawing From The University

To withdraw from High Point University, students must start by reaching out to the Office of Student Life on the third floor of the Slane Student Center. They are open daily from 8:30am – 5:00pm or may be reached via phone (336-841-9231), fax (336-841-4513) or email (

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid they have “earned” up to the time of withdrawal. Title IV funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the University and/or the student to the federal government. This situation could result in the student owing aid funds to the University, government or both.

To determine the amount of aid the student has earned up to the time of withdrawal, the University will divide the number of calendar days the student attended classes by the total number of calendar days in the semester (less any scheduled breaks of 5 days or more). The resulting percentage is then multiplied by the total federal funds that were disbursed (either to the student’s university account or to the student directly by check or direct deposit) for the semester. This calculation determines the amount of aid earned by the student which he or she may keep (e.g., if the student attended 25% of the term, the student will have earned 25% of the aid disbursed). The unearned amount – total aid disbursed less the earned amount – must be returned to the federal government by the University or the student. The University will notify and provide instructions to students who are required to return funds to the government.

Allocating Returned Title IV (Federal) Aid

Funds that are returned to the federal government are used to reduce the outstanding balances in individual federal programs.

Financial aid returned (by the University and/or you or your parents) must be allocated in the following order.

  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans
  • Federal Graduate Plus Loans
  • Federal Parent (PLUS) Loans
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG

If your circumstances require that you withdraw from all classes, you are strongly encouraged to contact Student Financial Planning and your academic advisor before doing so. At that time, the consequences of withdrawing from all classes can be explained and clearly illustrated. The Student Financial Planning Office can provide refund examples and further explain this policy to you and your parents.

You should also be aware that as a recipient of financial assistance, you must comply with the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy. By withdrawing, you may not be eligible for financial assistance from High Point University in the future, because you did not complete a specified number of credit hours for which aid was disbursed.


Exit Counseling

Is required when you withdraw, graduate, or drop below half-time attendance (even if you plan to transfer to another school)

Helps you understand your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower

Provides useful tips and information to help you manage your loans

Log in online to complete at


Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Policy

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend High Point University for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.  When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of the TA funds originally awarded.

In order to comply with the Department of Defense policy, High Point University will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided.  TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student withdraws.  The unearned funds will be returned to the military Service branch accordingly.

Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, High Point University will work with the individual Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

Return of Unearned Military Tuition Assistance Funds (TA)

The following will explain the percentage of return of Military Tuition Assistance Funds (TA) for any student who withdraws before the end of the 7th week of class.   For any student who withdraws after the 7th week of class, no return of TA funds will be required.


Weeks of Enrollment                                                     Portion of TA funds to be returned

Withdrawal prior to 1st day of class                                                             100%

During Week 1 of classes                                                                              87.5%

During Week 2 of classes                                                                              75.0%

During Week 3 of classes                                                                              62.5%

During Week 4 of classes                                                                              50.0%

During Week 5 of classes                                                                              37.5%

During Week 6 of classes                                                                              25.0%

During Week 7 of classes                                                                              12.5%

After the end of Week 7                                                                                  0.0%


Our main office is located in Suite 100 of Roberts Hall.

Phone: (336) 841-9124
Fax: (336) 841-4649
FAFSA/Title IV School code: 002933