Global Education

Travel Information

Entering the United States

At the port-of-entry you must present:

  • An unexpired Form I-20 endorsed for travel by a DSO within 12 months
  • Valid Passport
  • Valid F-1 visa
  • Evidence of finances
  • Acceptance letter from High Point University (for initial entry) or a copy of your transcript and current course schedule

If returning from Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands (except Cuba) after a visit of less than 30 days solely in those countries, your visa need not be valid; however, you will be required to show your previously issued I-94 in addition to the other documents listed above.

Students outside the U.S. for more than one semester and those on Optional Practical Training (OPT) may have additional requirements.


Grace Period

If you are in legal status when you finish successfully your program at HPU, you will have a 60-day grace period to depart the U.S. This grace period will be shorter if you do not successfully finish your program in lawful status.

During the grace period, you will be able to remain in the U.S.; however, you will not be permitted to leave and reenter the U.S. on your F visa. The only way to reenter the United States will be to do so on a visitor visa (although students from countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program will be able to enter the U.S. from the western hemisphere without a visa).

Read more about the Visa Waiver Program.

Read more about travel on an F visa.

Office of Global Education

Location: Cottrell Hall, Suite 142
Phone: +1 (336) 841-9280
Mailing Address:
High Point University
Office of Global Education
One University Parkway, Drawer 24
High Point, NC 27268  USA

Global Ed in the News

Class of 2021 Outcomes: Cynthia Battaglia Cements a Career in Interior Design
read more
24 Things Every Panther Should Do in their First Year at HPU
read more
Class of 2020 Outcomes: Hayley Larsen Coordinates for Sea Colony Recreational As…
read more
View All

HPU Students Study Abroad

Global Education and Study Abroad
Academic Prospectus