Skip to Main Content

While you may have traveled abroad before, you may not know that traveling abroad as a student may be different. Many times, it can be easy and free to enter another country as a tourist, especially when you stay only for a short period of time. When the purpose of your travel is to study, however, the process for entering many countries changes. Some require residency permits, or visas, to enter and reside in the country.

Entry requirements and limitations change from country to country, and, at times, even by the specific embassy or consulate you use to apply for your visa. Some countries require no additional work to be done on your part, save producing the required documentation for Immigration Officials at the port-of-entry. Some visas and their applications are electronic and do not require you to mail your passport to a visa issuing authority. Alternately, some applications require you to go in person to your host country’s Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. to deliver, interview, and/or pick up your materials.

The same goes for visa fees. Some visas may cost you nothing; others may cost you several hundred dollars to cover all incurred expenses (e.g., application fees, notary fees, ID photos, official birth certificate fees, travel costs).

It is every study abroad student’s responsibility to know the entry requirements and limitations for their host country and to ensure that they follow all policies and procedures for obtaining and maintaining their visa and legal residency status for their study abroad program. To assist you in starting this process, we’ve compiled information for HPU’s study abroad programs. Click on your host country’s name below for specific information. If you are studying in a country not listed below, you should start your search on the website for your host country’s Embassy.


ChileChinaChina - Hong KongCzech RepublicDenmark
ItalyJapanNetherlandsRussiaSouth Africa
South KoreaSpainSwedenUnited Kingdom


IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Global Education and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.