Global Education

Visa Information: Australia

In order to study in Australia, you are required to secure a student visa prior to your departure. All HPU students should apply under Subclass 500. For information and to apply online, click here.


Application Guidelines

  • Students from countries with an assessment level higher than 1 should contact the nearest Australian consulate to verify the procedure and documents that must be submitted.
  • There is a fee associated with the student visa application.
  • You will need your COE (‘Confirmation of Enrollment’ letter, mailed or e-mailed to you by your host institution upon your acceptance) before you can apply for your visa. During the online visa application process (or on your visa application form), you will be asked for the number that appears in the upper-right hand corner of the COE.*
  • If you apply for your visa more than two months before your scheduled departure date, your information may not yet be in the Department of Immigration & Multicultural & Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) database.

Please note: You will not receive your COE from your host institution until after you have enrolled in the Australian Health Insurance, OSHC. Your host university will send you information about how to apply for OSHC.


For E-Visa Enrollment

An Australian student visa can be granted a maximum of 12 weeks before your program begins. If you are able to apply online, your visa application is typically processed within 10 business days. You will be notified by email when your visa has been granted. Take note of your Transaction Reference Number (TRN). This number, along with your passport number and date of birth, can be used to track the status of your visa application.

If you have any questions about your online visa application after it has been submitted, you can email the e-visa helpdesk at


IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Study Abroad and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.

Office of Global Education

Location: Cottrell Hall, Suite 142
Phone: +1 (336) 841-9280
Mailing Address:
High Point University
Office of Global Education
One University Parkway, Drawer 24
High Point, NC 27268  USA

Global Ed in the News

Class of 2019: Emily Casper Nurtures an Interest in Nursing
read more
Global Insights: How Studying Abroad Develops Crucial Skills
read more
HPU Announces Academic and Professional Achievements
read more
View All

HPU Students Study Abroad

Global Education and Study Abroad
Academic Prospectus