IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Global Education and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.
For stays longer than 90 days you must obtain a residence permit. This can be applied for prior to departure or once you arrive in Germany. Visas must be applied for in person.
The consulate responsible for North Carolina is:German Consulate General
Marquis Two Tower, Suite 901
285 Peachtree Center Avenue, N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia, 30303-1221
Phone (404) 659 4760
Fax (404) 659 1280
If you live outside of NC visit the consular search website to see which consulate applies to your home state: Germany Consulate Finder
- Two fully completed application forms (found here) and two required declarations (found here)
- Two passport photographs (strict requirements, see details here)
- Valid national passport and two copies of the data page. Please note these important regulations concerning your travel document/passport:
- Its validity has to extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- It has to contain at least two blank pages;
- It must have been issued within the previous 10 years. If it has been issued before that, your passport cannot be accepted. That even applies in cases where the validity has been extended by the authorities of your home country.
- Original letter of acceptance of a German university/language school/college and two copies thereof
- Original evidence that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while living in Germany and two copies thereof
- Your driver’s license and/or utility bill in your name as proof of residence in the consular district where you plan to apply
- Visa fee.
Please note: In individual cases, you may be required to provide additional documents. These may include proof of High School diploma. You may also be required to open a German bank account and enroll in German health insurance before beginning classes.