IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Global Education and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.
A visa is required for stays in Japan for longer than 90 days.
Consulate for North Carolina: Japanese Consulate of Atlanta: 3438 Peachtree Rd NE Atlanta, GA 30326
Application Form and Necessary Documents
The basic documents required for the visa application are listed below.
- Passport: Must be valid 6 months after the date of return
- Visa application form: Found here.
- Photo: (passport size, attached to the visa application form)
- Visa Fees: US citizens are exempt from visa fees
- Visa Validity:
- In general, a visa is only valid for one entry. A visa is valid for 3 months from the day of issuance. Therefore, entry into Japan should occur within this time frame.
- A Multiple entry visa is valid for 1 to 5 years. Multiple entry visas can be issued to citizens of countries that Japan has bilateral agreements with and to visitors with business purposes.
- Certificate of Eligibility (Click here for more information on obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility)
- NOTE: The Certificate of Eligibility (COE) will be applied for and obtained by the host institution on the student’s behalf. Because this must go through two ministries, the process can be slow – usually taking two to three months. It is not uncommon to receive the Certificate one month prior to your departure. Once you submit your complete visa application to the consulate, the process moves much more quickly.
Applying with a Certificate of Eligibility
Note: Contact OSA before applying without the COE
If you cannot obtain a Certificate of Eligibility then the following documents must be supplied:
- A copy of the acceptance letter from the receiving educational institution
- Documents certifying that the applicant can defray all expenses incurred during his/her stay in Japan (e.g. bank statement, documents certifying the scholarship/grants that the applicant has been awarded)
- One clear photocopy of all the documents you are submitting
Note: In some cases, additional documents may be required.