IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Study Abroad and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.
You will need a temporary Residence Permit to stay in South Africa for more than 90 days.
The following are required:
- Completed application form (Found here) signed by the applicant (AIFS provides step by step instructions)
- Passport valid for no less than 6 months beyond the completion of studies
- Two (2) passport photos
- Notarized copy of the birth certificate
- Proof of medical report (physical test by your physician)
- Radiological report (chest X-Ray) or skin TB test
- Police clearance certificate (criminal background check) from all countries the applicant has lived in since age 18 for one year or longer.
- Proof of health coverage (health insurance, usually provided by AIFS)
- Roundtrip flight itinerary
- An official letter from the institution in South Africa confirming acceptance and duration of the course (provided by AIFS)
- An official letter of acceptance from HPU
- Proof of financial means in the form of a bank statement or a notarized letter from the parents stating the financial responsibility.
- A non-refundable fee of $72.00 money order for processing
- A repatriation deposit of $1,500.00 money order in case of applicants traveling on a one-way ticket
- Processing time is 5 business days, during peak season it may take up to 10 business days.
South African Consulate-General, New York
(servicing Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, West Virginia)