IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Global Education and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.


While U.S. citizens are permitted entry into South Korea without a visa, stays over 90 days require a visa. Therefore, exchange students are to obtain a visa from the Korean Embassy or Consulate before departure to South Korea.


Visa Application

All visa applicants are required to submit a completed application form, a valid passport, a passport-sized (3.5cm x 4.5cm) color photo taken within six months of the application date, other documents as determined by the status of their country, and a visa processing fee. Applicants may be asked to submit additional documents if required for examination, such as:

  • Certificate of Admission (provided by KU)
  • Memorandum of Understanding [MOU](provided by students home institution)
  • Certificate of Registration (may vary according to the Korean Embassy or Consulate)
    ** Those who need the Certificate of Registration can find the document on Korea University’s Notice page.

Furthermore, visas may be extended for up to 90 days. All visas, including long-term visas, are for a single visit (single-entry visa). For detailed information, please visit the Hi Korea website: