IMPORTANT: This information provides guidelines about the visa process. Visa regulations often change, and procedures can vary by Consulate and/or Embassy. Students should verify the current visa application procedures with the appropriate Consulate or Embassy before initiating the process. While every effort is made to ensure these guidelines are updated and as accurate as possible, the Office of Global Education and High Point University cannot guarantee that the visa information posted is the most current. The information included only applies to US citizens.


Students studying in Spain must have a National Visa. The visa application must be made in person at the consulate that has jurisdiction over the state in which you reside.

Note: The following requirements are for the Consulate in Washington, D.C. The Washington D.C. Consulate services the following states: North Carolina, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, or the District of Columbia. If you will be applying from your home state please visit the Embassy of Spain’s website to find requirements for your consulate: Spanish Consulates



Spanish Consulate in Washington, D.C.

2375 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W.-Washington, D.C. 20037.
Phone: 728 23 30
Fax: (1 202) 728 23 02



Note: This is not an official list, and you must follow the requirements given by your consulate exactly.

Click here for specific visa requirements for application at the Spanish Consulate in Washington, D.C.

  • A complete visa application and copies of the original: download here.
  • Payment for visa fee: $160 cash, in exact change; non-refundable.
  • Photographs: size requirements should be listed on the website of each consulate.
  • Passport and copy: minimum of 6 months of validity beyond the end of your program; must have at least 1 blank page to affix the visa.
  • Letters of Acceptance demonstrating that you are a full-time student and information regarding your program.
    • One from your host institution in Spain
    • One from HPU
  • Proof of Economic Support
  • Proof of Medical insurance
  • Medical Certificate from your physician (usually only required for stays over 180 days): Consult the specific requirements of your consulate. May require Apostille Seal of the Hague.
  • Certificate of Absence of Police Record (usually only required for stays over 180 days): Most consulates will accept only an FBI Background Check or State-level police check. Consult the specific requirements of your consulate, and follow them exactly. Requires Apostille Seal of Hague. Please note that these checks can often take a significant time to process (3-4 months). It is advisable to request them at the time of application for your program to avoid delays.
  • Airline ticket
  • Return envelope for passport and visa: (usually Express Mail, UPS, FedEx, etc. requirement will vary by the consulate)