About Lingnan University
Founded in 1967, Lingnan University is the only government-funded liberal arts university in Hong Kong and traces its heritage to its predecessor in China, first established in 1888.
The university is small, warm, friendly, and welcoming. It has a relatively small student number among the universities in Hong Kong and is committed to maintaining a close faculty and student relationship.
The campus is about 21 acres (compared to HPU’s 320 acre campus) and is located in Tuen Mun in the New Territories. This beautiful campus, winner of architectural awards, is an embodiment of eastern and western architectural styles, providing facilities crucial to the daily functioning of a modern university.
Lingnan University is comprised of a student-oriented teaching staff. 97.9% of Lingnan’s academic staff hold doctorate degrees. In addition to research, the faculty place special emphasis on students’ learning and personal development. The university has adopted a whole-person approach to education which enables its students to think, judge, care, and, ultimately, act responsibly in the changing circumstances of Hong Kong, the region, and the world. Lingnan is also a pioneer in offering service-learning to its students, which integrates community service with the students’ curricula and provides a distinctive learning experience for all-round development.
Top 3 Reasons to Study Here:
- Study at the only public liberal arts education provider in Hong Kong and the region, a university which has adopted a holistic approach to education.
- Participate in an established service-learning program to deepen your educational experience.
- Live in the vibrant port city of Hong Kong, a global financial center famed for its skyline and known for its lively food scene and shopping whose culture is a melting pot of customs and traditions.
Location: Hong Kong, China (population: 7 million)
University: Lingnan University (students: 2,600)
Program Website: http://www.ln.edu.hk/summer/
Dates: Late May – Early June
Minimum application requirements: 2.5 GPA and sophomore status
Application: Students must first be nominated by HPU, after which they will receive the application via email. Ask your study abroad advsior to nominate you to Lingnan University’s Summer Program.
Application deadlines: Early March
Visa information: Visit Lingnan University’s Visa Information page under the section “Student Visa for Education in Hong Kong” for detailed information.
Lingnan University offers coursework in the following disciplines:
- Faculty of Arts: Chinese, Cultural Studies, English, History, Philosophy, Translation, Visual Studies
- Faculty of Business: Accountancy, Computing and Decision Sciences, Finance and Insurance, Management, Marketing and International Business
- Faculty of Social Sciences: Applied Psychology, Economics, Political Science, Sociology and Social Policy
Review the program website for more information.
For High Point University to recognize the credits you complete abroad, you must earn at least a grade equivalent to a C in the U.S. HPU will not accept credit for courses with grades of C– or below. Grades for all courses earned abroad are recorded on the international transcript. Credits are received by HPU as transfer credits which means the credit is received but the grade is not. Your HPU grade point average will not be impacted positively or negatively by your study abroad courses.
Housing & Meals
Students are required to live at the student hostels on campus. All the rooms are on twin-sharing basis and are generally sex-segregated on each floor.
The University does not operate any meal plan, mandatory or optional. There is a student cafeteria and a full-service Chinese restaurant on campus that provides a variety of inexpensive meals. There are also many restaurants in the neighborhood off campus.
Students will be provided with an orientation program including arrival pick-up services on designated days, briefing sessions, and a survival Cantonese class. Excursions to Hong Kong destinations will be organised for exchange students.
- Visa Application: HK$430
- Hostel Fee: approximately HK$2,806 for Summer Term (under University review and subject to change)
- Linen Set Fee (Optional): HK$430