Immigration policy governs work and volunteerism among student travelers, and policy varies from one country to another. In some countries, you may work for pay without a special visa. In other countries, you are not even permitted to volunteer without an immigration visa that specifically allows it. Consult the Visa Information page as well as the consular website of the country of interest, as these policies are updated without notice.