Dr. Jeffrey Taylor, Associate Professor and Chair of HPU’s Department of Physical Therapy
Dr. Jeffrey Taylor has served as the Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy since 2020. Previously, he served on HPU’s Department of Physical Therapy Leadership Team from 2012-2019 as the Director of Clinical Education and the Director of Curriculum and Outcomes and as the Chair of the Department of Physical Therapy at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center before returning to HPU in 2020.
Taylor has earned degrees from the University of Delaware (BA- Biological Sciences, minor- Psychology), Duke University (DPT- Physical Therapy), and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (PhD- Kinesiology/Applied Neuromechanics, minor-Educational Research Methodology). He completed the American Physical Therapy Association’s Educational Leadership Institute Fellowship.
As a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy, Taylor has an extensive clinical and research background that has focused on the prevention and rehabilitation of lower extremity athletic injuries. Specifically, he has received funding from the National Institutes of Health and adidas International to study the prevention of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries in adolescent female athletes and the effects of shoe design on athlete biomechanics.
Taylor has co-authored more than 45 peer-reviewed scientific papers, four book chapters, and more than 105 conference abstracts. He is especially passionate about including students into his work, having mentored more than 30 undergraduate and graduate level students, resulting in students co-authoring more than ~70% of his conference abstracts and more than ~35% of his peer-reviewed papers. He has presented his work nationally and internationally at conferences such as the Combined Sections Meeting of the American Physical Therapy Association, American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Academy of Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Annual Meeting, Footwear Biomechanics Symposium, World Congress of Biomechanics, and ACL Research Retreat.
- Taylor JB, Ford KR, Nguyen AD, Shultz SJ. Biomechanical comparison of single- and double-leg jump landings in the sagittal and frontal plane. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 2016 Jun 28;4(6):2325967116655158. doi: 10.1177/2325967116655158.
- Ford KR, Taylor JB, Baellow AL, Arpante AE, Wright KE, Nguyen AD. Effects of plate stiffness on first metatarsophalyngeal joint motion during unanticipated cutting and resisted sled pushing in football players. Footwear Science. 8(2):75-82, 2016. doi: 1080/19424280.2016.1175518.
- Wright AA, Taylor JB, Ford KR, Siska L, Smoliga JM. Risk factors associated with lower extremity stress fractures in runners: A systematic review with meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 49(23):1517-1523, 2015. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2015-094828.
- Ford KR, Nguyen AD, Dischiavi SL, Hegedus EJ, Zuk EF, Taylor JB. An evidence-based review of hip focused exercise interventions to address dynamic lower extremity valgus. Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine, 2015 Aug 25;6:291-303. doi: 10.2147/OAJSM.S72432.
- Taylor JB, Ford KR, Nguyen AD, Terry LN, Hegedus EJ. Prevention of lower extremity injuries in basketball: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Sports Health. 7(5):392-8, 2015. doi: 10.1177/1941738115593441.
- Taylor JB, Wang HM, Schmitz RJ, Rhea CK, Ross SE, Shultz SJ. The influence of multi-planar knee laxity on perceived function during activities of daily living and sport. Journal of Athletic Training. 50(11) 1199-1206, 2015. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-50.11.10
- Taylor JB, Wright AA, Smoliga JM, Depew JT, Hegedus EJ. Upper extremity physical performance tests in collegiate athletes. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 25(2) 146-154, 2015. doi: 10.1123/jsr.2014-0296
- Taylor JB, Waxman JP, Richter SJ, Shultz SJ. Evaluation of the effectiveness of anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention training components: A systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 49(1) 79-87, 2015. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2013-092358.
- Tarara, DT, Hegedus EJ, Taylor JB. Real-time test-retest and interrater reliability of select physical performance measures in physically active college-aged students. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy. 9(7) 874-887, 2014.
- Taylor JB, Goode AP, George SZ, Cook CE. Incidence and risk factors for first-time incident low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Spine Journal. 14(10) 2299-2319, 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2014.01.026.