Sophomore’s Photo to be Featured in Photography Book

HPU High Point Photography

HPU High Point PhotographyHIGH POINT, N.C., March 6, 2013 – A picture taken by Mary Williams, a sophomore at High Point University majoring in graphic design, will appear in a hard bound book by the Photographer’s Forum.

Out of 16,000 entries, Williams’ picture was chosen as a finalist in the forum’s 33rd annual College & High School Photography Contest.

“I was really excited when I got the letter,” says Williams. “I didn’t know anything about photography before this class, so I didn’t expect to hear back from the contest.”

Williams says she was particularly proud of the honor, because no one told her to take the pictures. She says she was just inspired early one morning while back at home. “The sun was just rising and there was really heavy dew, so I ran inside and grabbed my camera.”

HPU High Point University Photography

Williams’ photo: “Dew in the Morning”

Williams was encouraged to enter a contest by her photography professor, Benita VanWinkle. She says she took VanWinkle’s class to fulfill an elective requirement, but now she sees photography in a whole new way. Now, she plans to incorporate more photography into her design work.

The book featuring all the finalists from the competition will be released at the end of June.