Brandon Browning’s Compassion Earns Him the Title of Extraordinary Leader

Posted on April 17, 2013.

The Office of Student Life presents the Extraordinary Leader award to outstanding students each month. The entire HPU community – students, faculty and staff, make nominations, and the nominees are asked to complete a survey about their academic, social and charitable involvement on campus and in the community. A committee of HPU administrators selects the students who embody true leadership.

Brandon BrowningMarch’s Extraordinary Leader, Brandon Browning, doesn’t have much free time, and that’s the way he prefers it.

The senior theatre major is a founding member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity and has served on the IFC executive council as the vice‐president of philanthropy. He is a resident assistant and an active member of the theatre department where he has directed pieces, competed in national festivals, auditioned for professional acting jobs and acted in six performances at HPU.

“I am a firm believer in doing what you are passionate about, and reaching for your dreams,” says Browning. “At HPU, you can actually do that. I changed my major twice before finally surrendering to my passion and deciding on theatre. Within the department, I have been able to take what I learn inside the classroom and put it into main stage productions.”

Browning plans to pursue his acting dream after graduation. He recently auditioned for the Jewish Ensemble Theatre, an equity theatre based in Michigan, and for the Broadway production of “The Book of Mormon.” He says his experience at HPU has prepared him for what lies ahead.

“I have been able to establish relationships with my professors to a point where they know how to challenge me on a personal level,” says Browning. “I am given opportunities to really put myself out there and try new things, even when I fail at them, because we learn the most from our failures.”

The little time Browning does have, he tries to give back to HPU.

“I often visit the office of student life to see if anything is needed,” says Browning.

Browning says he also tries to make himself as available as possible to other students, and you’ll rarely find him sitting in his room alone.

“One of the biggest gifts we can give to anything is our time. I try to make myself present and available by sitting in Slane and seeing as many people as possible in a day.”

Browning says this is his way of exhibiting the compassion he sees modeled at HPU every day.

“If you look at how our Greek Life comes together during Greek Week, how our campus connects with the community or how we pull behind our athletic teams during their successes. You see acts of compassionate people,” says Browning.

Lessons and Carols
HPU Invites Community to Annual ‘Lessons and Carols’ Candlelight Ser…
November Extraordinary Leaders
November’s Extraordinary Leaders Go the Extra Mile
Mollie McKinley
Sophomore Receives Prestigious Grant