High Point Market Provides Experiential Learning Opportunities for HPU Students

High Point University student Francesca Callahan is pictured in front of Bungalow 5, a showroom at the High Point Furniture Market.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 18, 2017 – The High Point Furniture Market is a bustling environment. Among professionals in the furniture, sales and interior design industries, High Point University students feel right at home.

Gaining experience at High Point Market is one of many opportunities provided to students at HPU. Located in downtown High Point, just minutes from HPU’s campus, furniture market offers students the opportunity to hone their professional skills through experiential learning. Students also get the chance to meet industry celebrities such as entrepreneur Kathy Ireland, who partnered with Michael Amini to create a line of home furnishings.

Darryl Remedio, an HPU junior majoring in business with a minor in sales, worked with JDouglas. Remedio says his HPU professors have invested time in teaching him sales tactics that have helped him realize his full potential.

“Having sales professors at HPU like Larry Quinn, who challenge us and remind us that we can succeed, really made me breathe and not stress about my internship,” Remedio says.

Emily Kendall, an HPU junior majoring in interior design, worked with Hooker Furniture. Kendall says her experiences with her professors helped her feel confident and empowered.

Kathy Ireland spoke with a group of HPU students including HPU senior Mandy Engelman.

“All the things I have been taught in terms of how to go out and be professional, I have applied to my internship,” says Kendall. “All of my professors have taught me to be confident, to network and how to talk to people. High Point University prepares you to be confident and empowered and to take that into the workplace.”

Garry White, a Florida sales representative at Hickory White, says HPU students like Savannah Stone, who work with the company during market, are top notch candidates.

“They absorb the knowledge like a sponge,” White says. “She knows what a bed costs, whereas I might have to stop and think about it.”

“I found this opportunity through an HPU alumni,” says Stone, an HPU junior majoring in interior design. “If I hadn’t attended High Point University, I would have never gotten this experience.”

Hanna Le, a sophomore majoring in visual merchandising design, says people like Dr. John Turpin, dean of HPU’s School of Art and Design, have prepared her for working in a business environment.

“We present all the time to Dr. Turpin, and my professors teach us skills for presenting in the business world,” Le says, “They give us business cards and they get us internships like these. We are able to experience things that we couldn’t anywhere else.”

The High Point Furniture Market officially began Oct. 14 and ends today.