Students Take Part in Spiritual Pilgrimage to Explore Worship

A group of HPU students took part in the fall pilgrimage in Asheville. The group volunteered their time at Haywoods’ Downtown Welcome Table where they served hot meals to people experiencing homelessness.

HIGH POINT, N.C., Oct. 31, 2018 – Some High Point University students traveled to North Carolina’s mountains to take part in Fall Pilgrimage – a week of programming intersecting spirituality and service that allowed students to explore different communities of faith and faith-based organizations in Asheville.

The students participated in various community service events such as serving meals to people experiencing homelessness at the Downtown Welcome Table.

During fall pilgrimage, the group of HPU students experienced different service and reflection activities in Asheville.

“Throughout the week, I expanded my social and spiritual perspective, learned how to respect and love my peers, and discovered more about the community of Asheville,” said Farrelle Franks, an HPU freshman biology major. “It was a journey that opened my eyes to see Jesus in a richer way and continued to grow my relationship with Him.”

“Our goal with this pilgrimage was for our students to be able to experience different faith communities and faith-based organizations – both seeing how their faith inspires life and how faith leads to action,” said the Rev. Preston Davis, HPU’s minister.

They also visited a variety of churches to observe and participate in their service. This opportunity allowed the students to experience different religious perspectives while reflecting on their own. Jordan Akindutire is a United Kingdom exchange student and international business and entrepreneur major.

“The church services we attended were very different from my church experience in London,” said Akindutire. “However, this difference was great as I enjoyed the worship through music and word. I felt the love and presence of God.”

After the students reflected on other forms of service, they hiked Black Balsam Knob where they took communion at its peak.

“This experience will forever be a moment that I cherish,” said Franks. “Feeling the cold wind, beholding the majesty of nature, and praying to my Lord as I stood so close to the heavens stirred a passion and gratitude in my soul.”