HPU Announces Academic and Professional Achievements

scholarship

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 6, 2020 – High Point University faculty, staff and students recently received the following academic and professional awards and recognitions.

HPU Professor Honored with Lifetime Achievement Award

High Point University Associate Professor and retired Col. Don Goss was recently named the 2020 Col. Mary Lipscomb Hamrick Lifetime Achievement Award winner. Col. Lipscomb Hamrick was the first U.S. Army dietitian to earn a doctorate degree. To recognize this achievement, the Army Medical Specialist Corps established an annual research conference and award in her name, which is considered a lifetime achievement award for the research community.

Selection for this award is based on demonstrated accomplishments and contributions in research and clinical investigation. Goss was honored for his 30-plus peer-reviewed publications, 80 national and international presentations, and nearly $4 million in grant funding at the conclusion of his 25-year Army career. He joined the Department of Physical Therapy at HPU in summer of 2020, upon retirement from the US Army.

“The award represents all of the hard work of many wonderful people I have been blessed to work with throughout my military career,” said Goss. “I feel extremely blessed to be a part of the HPU family and look forward to continuing this momentum.”

HPU Success Coach Recognized as Advisor of the Year

Giselle Mansi, student success coach at HPU, has been named Alpha Lambda Delta’s 2020 Outstanding Advisor of the Year. Mansi has advised the HPU chapter for two years. On the national level, she has attended and presented at two National Leadership Conferences, and attended webinars geared toward advisors. Under her leadership, the chapter won the prestigious Order of the Torch award in 2020 and earned three chapter membership awards in 2019 – Alpha Silver, Lambda Gold, and Delta Gold – for increases in chapter membership and high yield percentages of invited members.

During Mansi’s tenure, six HPU students have won national scholarships and fellowships, including two Jo Anne J. Trow Undergraduate Scholarship recipients, two James G. Stemler Study Abroad Scholarship recipients, and two Graduate Fellows.

“Giselle is truly part of our team,” said Ella Cusano, 2019-2020 president of Alpha Gamma Delta, who nominated Mansi for this award. “She comes to every event she can, even if it is at an inconvenient time for her. She stays after work and makes sure that the event went smoothly and to see if she can contribute in any way.”

Another nominee, Matt DeRienzo, who served as SGA representative of Alpha Gamma Delta during the 2019-2020 academic year, said, “Giselle has been such a vital part of transforming our chapter at HPU. The level of trust she has in her officers to complete tasks at hand is outstanding. She guides us so that we stay on track but also have the freedom to make the decisions that are best for the chapter.”

“As a graduating senior, I’ve been able to work alongside Giselle for a long time, and it is so clear to me just how much she cares for me, our Executive Council, her students, and the HPU campus as a whole,” Aly Quirke, vice president of Alpha Camma Delta during the 2019-2020 academic year. Alpha Lambda Delta truly is one of my greatest joys and accomplishments, and I owe most of that to Giselle. She allowed me to voice my opinions and try out new ideas, which helped me figure out the type of leader I am. The experience I had with Alpha Lambda Delta and Giselle is irreplaceable, and she is by far the best and most constructive advisor I’ve ever had.”

Mansi will be presented with an award from National Alpha Lambda Delta and will deliver a keynote address at the 2020 National Leadership Conference in October. The chapter will also receive a $200 cash award.

HPU’s Dance Marathon Recognized with Miracle Maker Award

This year marked the inaugural Miracle Network Dance Marathon fundraiser at HPU, held virtually due to COVID-19 pandemic. Because students raised $34,837 to donate to Duke Children’s Hospital, HPU received the Miracle Maker Award, recognizing the highest fundraising first-year program.

“Not only is Miracle Network Dance Marathon an amazing organization which raises funds for the medical needs of families across the United States,” said Kristin Ackerman, assistant professor of biology at HPU and faculty advisor. “The event also provides college students a student-driven mechanism to learn to develop, organize and implement strategies to generate successful nonprofit events.”

Ackerman guided the executive committee, which included Jack Elliott, executive director; Ella Cusano, finance director; Michael Fragnito, director of fundraising; Chloe Knox, events operations chair; Trevor White, fundraising team; Nicholas Zanghi, Greek recruitment chair; Alyssa Moylan, marketing and PR chair; Kenzie Hansley, hospital relations chair; Kenzie Ulrich, dancer relations chair; Madi D’Ostuni, special events chair; Shannon Rose, morale chair; Kasey Meyer, fundraising and partnerships chair; Blair Cloutier, internal director; and Alexis Ogren, external director.

“HPU students, especially the executive board, put in hundreds of hours to plan for HPU’s inaugural Dance Marathon event, and I am so proud of their accomplishments,” said Ackerman.

HPU Gradaute Wins First Place in National Video Pitch Competition

Caitie Gehlhausen, a High Point University 2020 graduate, entrepreneurship major, and the CEO and Founder of both the Socket Lock-it and the CONEvertible, won first place in the Fifth Annual Sigma Nu Tau Video Pitch Competition, hosted by the Sigma Nu Tau Entrepreneurship Society to recognize and reward the value and impact of entrepreneurship education on student success in academic business plan competitions.

Gehlhausen submitted a video that highlighted the learning process she experienced through participating in six business pitch competitions, including Business Plan Competitions and Elevator Pitch Competitions at HPU.

“Pitch competitions have given me more than just monetary awards,” said Gehlhausen. “I have had the opportunity to pitch in front of veteran entrepreneurs, like Marc Randolph, co-founder of Netflix and HPU’s Entrepreneur in Residence, and Steve Sheetz, chairman of Sheetz Inc.”

As first-place winner, Gehlhausen received $1,500 to continue work on her business ventures. These funds, combined with the $5,000 prize she won in a competition hosted by Collegiate Entrepreneur’s Organization (CEO) and $10,000 in start-up funds in HPU’s Business Plan Competition, will serve as a launching pad for her business.

“Being an entrepreneur is so much bigger than myself,” says Gehlhausen. “It’s about helping others and sharing my personal experience and expertise. I’m excited to pay forward the generosity that these competition directors, judges, HPU and my professors have shown me, because that is the true beauty of being an entrepreneur.”