Freshman Profile: A Focus on the Sciences

08.11.2014

HPU’s largest cohort of 1,470 new students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Below is a snapshot of a student focused on the sciences and two of HPU’s largest majors.

Name: Melanie Maldonado

High school attended: Taos High School in Taos, N.M.

Accomplishments: Maldonado’s resume is teeming with countless awards and accomplishments. Among those accolades, Maldonado was awarded five scholarships; was named New Mexico HOSA’s Representative and Vice-President; completed an internship at Los Alamos National Laboratory; worked for U.S. Rep. Robert “Bobby” Gonzalez at the New Mexico State Legislation; volunteered at Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, N.M.; and was a member of numerous national and school organizations.

Major: Pre-Medicine: Biology and Psychology. After her 2018 graduation from HPU, Maldonado plans to attend medical school to become a neurologist.

Why you chose HPU: “As soon as I set foot on HPU’s campus I felt like I was at home. I fell in love with everything that HPU had to offer me, and I could not see myself anywhere else. I love the fact that classes are small because it allows the students to interact with the professor, and I love how the professors are dedicated to their work. I know that I will receive an amazing education and important life skills that will help me succeed in the work force.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am looking forward to making new memories with new friends, and I am excited to explore an entirely new area while receiving an extraordinary education. Also, I look forward to continue my HOSA – Future Health Professionals  journey at High Point. All in all, I am looking forward to the entire college experience and I know that I will have the time of my life.”

13

08

HPUniverse Day1
    Community Members Explore Space, Science, and Beyond
    Bob Rathbun at HPU 1
    Sportscaster Bob Rathbun Shares Industry Experience at HPU
    CEO Roundtable
    HPU to Host CEOs for Roundtable Discussion