Freshman Profile: A Focus on the Sciences

Posted on August 11, 2014.

HPU’s largest cohort of 1,470 new students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Below is a snapshot of a student focused on the sciences and two of HPU’s largest majors.

Name: Melanie Maldonado

High school attended: Taos High School in Taos, N.M.

Accomplishments: Maldonado’s resume is teeming with countless awards and accomplishments. Among those accolades, Maldonado was awarded five scholarships; was named New Mexico HOSA’s Representative and Vice-President; completed an internship at Los Alamos National Laboratory; worked for U.S. Rep. Robert “Bobby” Gonzalez at the New Mexico State Legislation; volunteered at Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, N.M.; and was a member of numerous national and school organizations.

Major: Pre-Medicine: Biology and Psychology. After her 2018 graduation from HPU, Maldonado plans to attend medical school to become a neurologist.

Why you chose HPU: “As soon as I set foot on HPU’s campus I felt like I was at home. I fell in love with everything that HPU had to offer me, and I could not see myself anywhere else. I love the fact that classes are small because it allows the students to interact with the professor, and I love how the professors are dedicated to their work. I know that I will receive an amazing education and important life skills that will help me succeed in the work force.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am looking forward to making new memories with new friends, and I am excited to explore an entirely new area while receiving an extraordinary education. Also, I look forward to continue my HOSA – Future Health Professionals  journey at High Point. All in all, I am looking forward to the entire college experience and I know that I will have the time of my life.”

22

Mar
    16
    3.16

Regular Decision Deadline

Sarah Patterson
Student Studies Stereotypes of Women in 17th Century Literature
HPU Poll Logo_vertical
HPU Poll: Positive Ratings for Clintons and G. W. Bush in NC; Most Potential 201…
The Drowsy Chaperone
Theatre, Music Departments to Present “The Drowsy Chaperone”