Freshman Profile: A Focus on the Sciences

08.11.2014

HPU’s largest cohort of 1,470 new students represents a wide variety of academic achievement, service, backgrounds, cultures and geographic locations. Below is a snapshot of a student focused on the sciences and two of HPU’s largest majors.

Name: Melanie Maldonado

High school attended: Taos High School in Taos, N.M.

Accomplishments: Maldonado’s resume is teeming with countless awards and accomplishments. Among those accolades, Maldonado was awarded five scholarships; was named New Mexico HOSA’s Representative and Vice-President; completed an internship at Los Alamos National Laboratory; worked for U.S. Rep. Robert “Bobby” Gonzalez at the New Mexico State Legislation; volunteered at Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, N.M.; and was a member of numerous national and school organizations.

Major: Pre-Medicine: Biology and Psychology. After her 2018 graduation from HPU, Maldonado plans to attend medical school to become a neurologist.

Why you chose HPU: “As soon as I set foot on HPU’s campus I felt like I was at home. I fell in love with everything that HPU had to offer me, and I could not see myself anywhere else. I love the fact that classes are small because it allows the students to interact with the professor, and I love how the professors are dedicated to their work. I know that I will receive an amazing education and important life skills that will help me succeed in the work force.”

What you’re looking forward to at HPU: “I am looking forward to making new memories with new friends, and I am excited to explore an entirely new area while receiving an extraordinary education. Also, I look forward to continue my HOSA – Future Health Professionals  journey at High Point. All in all, I am looking forward to the entire college experience and I know that I will have the time of my life.”

08

22

WAGE Roundtable
    HPU to Host Roundtable Discussion with Women Leaders
    Etgar Keret
    HPU to Host Israeli Author Keret
    High Point University Professor Lisa Carnell
    Professor Is Program Co-Chair for Upcoming Math Conference