Biology’s Mission Statement:
Within the context of the liberal arts environment, High Point University’s Biology Department provides students with curricular options that range from the generalized to the specialized, and that prepare them for a wide variety of post-baccalaureate goals (e.g., careers in field ecology or biomedical research; advanced studies in the life sciences; professional programs in the health sciences, such as medical school). Within our program, special emphasis is placed on science as a process. As a result, hands-on, experiential learning opportunities are abundant, both within classrooms and teaching laboratories and through original research. As a result, our curricula foster within students not only the knowledge base but also the critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills that prepare them for success in their future careers and for leadership roles within society.
Students are invited to work with faculty on research projects in the following areas:
- Insect ecology and physiology
- Cancer biology
- Plant stress physiology
- Endocrine disrupting compounds and toxicology
- Microbiology of infectious disease
- Aquatic ecology
- Agricultural genetics
- Intracellular trafficking
- Mammalian hibernation
Students and faculty present research at prestigious academic conferences and symposia:
- Association of Southeastern Biologists Meeting
- International Congress of Entomology
- Keystone Symposia
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Cellular Biology of Eukaryotic Pathogens Symposium
- American Society for Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators
- American Society for Microbiology Microbe
- Association of Biology Laboratory Educators
- Ecological Society of America
- International Workshop on Anthocyanins
- State of North Carolina Undergraduate Research and Creativity Symposium
- North Carolina Academy of Science
- American Society of Parasitologists
- Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society National Convention
- Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students
- North Carolina Branch of the American Society for Microbiology
Summer research opportunities on campus
The HPU Summer Research Program in the Sciences provides an opportunity for selected students and faculty in the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics to work together on research projects for eight weeks at High Point University. Housing, meals, and stipend are provided to participants.
- National Science Foundation – Plant Adaptation to Regional Cloud Regimes
- United States Forest Service – Insect Response to Prescribed Fire and Fuel Reduction
- NC Biotechnology Center – Development of an Interdisciplinary Cell Culture Facility
- Association of Biology Laboratory Educators – Development of Inquiry-Based Laboratory Exercises
Clubs and Honors Societies
A diverse array of clubs and honor societies provides students with opportunities for extracurricular enrichment:
- Biology Club
- Health Occupations Students of America
- Beta Beta Beta Biological Honor Society
- Alpha Epsilon Delta PreMedical Honor Society
- Physicians Assistants Club
- Pre-Professionals Club
- Emergency Medical Technician Club
- STEM Club
- Green Team
What can I do with this major?
Health Sciences Track (Pre-Professional)
Dentist or Orthodonist
Public Health Educator
Cell, Molecular & Biotechnology Track
Quality Control Specialist
Organismal & Evolutionary Biology Track
Agriculture and Food Scientist
Water Quality Specialist
Why should I major in biology at HPU?
- Jobs in health care consistently rank among the highest in-demand jobs in the USA. Our Health Science track can prepare you with the coursework needed for these professional programs.
- In the midst of our planet’s 6th major mass extinction, the demand for citizens equipped with the knowledge and skill to solve current and future ecological and environmental challenges is greater than ever.
- Biology sharpens critical thinking and analytical skills, which are applicable to a variety of professional positions, even outside of the sciences.
- We are standing at the precipice of a DNA revolution—our Cellular and Molecular Biology track will prepare you for a future in these cutting-edge fields.
- Zika. Cancer. Climate Change. Through biology, you can be part of the solution to some of the world’s greatest challenges.