Class of 2016 Outcomes: Ashley Hengerer Designs for Johnson & Johnson

Ashley Hengerer, Johnson & Johnson

graduateprofilesWith another successful commencement behind us, recent High Point University graduates are preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2016:

Ashley Hengerer, Johnson & JohnsonName: Ashley Hengerer

Hometown: Hillsborough, New Jersey

Major: Hengerer graduated with a B.A. in Graphic Design, with minors in Communication and Studio Art, on May 7.

Post-graduation plans: Hengerer accepted a position as a Junior Graphic Designer for Johnson & Johnson in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU helped me get where I am today by providing me with an education that came out of an extremely supportive environment. The mentors, professors and friends that I had the honor of meeting throughout my college career truly pushed me to be all that I could be while continuing to grow. I was lucky enough to be able to work in the Office of Communications as an intern where I was given the opportunity to excel in graphic design outside of the classroom. During this two-year internship I learned a lot about creating designed materials to help market a brand, as well as getting to see my own designs come to life. It was an eye opening internship that helped me better prepare for the job that I hold today.

I visited the Career and Professional Development Office multiple times during my senior year at High Point. The office and career advisors really cared about my future and because of that they were more helpful in every meeting. Their goal of helping students succeed outside of High Point University truly showed as they would help me perfect my resume, cover letter and portfolio website while applying for jobs.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “When I think of my most impactful mentor at HPU, I can’t narrow it down to just one person. Janis Dougherty, Allan Beaver and Mark Brown are three professors in the School of Art and Design who have all had an equal impact on me. They are all extremely successful artists, and knowing that I got to study under them is truly an honor. Each and every one of them pushed me to be more creative and innovative and to think outside of the box. They gave me the skills and confidence that I needed to pursue a career in graphic design, and I am forever grateful for their enthusiasm towards art and the support they gave me throughout my college career.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “My most impactful moment at HPU was when my design work was selected, as part of my internship, for the wall around the track in the Slane Student Center. It was a turning point as I had never felt that proud of my work until that time. It was mounted in late April and seeing my designs come to life right before graduation was so amazing! It reassured me that I would be capable of designing large scale artwork for a company after graduation.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Get to know your professors and peers within your major. Your classmates and professors will become some of your greatest friends and biggest motivators. They will help push you to be all that you are capable of and they are there not only to watch you succeed, but to help you in doing so!