Class of 2020 Outcome: Jonah Mitchell Builds Business and Sales Experience

Jonah Mitchell

With Commencement just around the corner, future High Point University graduates are already preparing to commence prestigious career paths around the world at Fortune 500 companies, international service programs, public school systems, top-tier law, medical and graduate school programs, and many other esteemed organizations thanks to their journey at HPU. Here’s a glimpse of one extraordinary senior from the Class of 2020:

Name: Jonah Mitchell

Hometown: Cape Neddick, Maine

Major: Business administration with minors in sales and marketing.

Post-graduation plans: Mitchell will be joining Phreesia as a sales development representative in Raleigh, North Carolina, following graduation. In this sales position, he will be focused on finding leads for account managers and turning those leads into deals. 

How HPU helped you get there: “HPU gives many outlets in terms of advising and career insights. Professors and faculty will help you achieve your goals. My professors always told me to stop by if I needed help finding an internship or a job post-graduation. Many professors at HPU have connections with companies that are looking to hire HPU students. Another great thing that the sales professors do, is put on a sales-focused career fair where companies from all over the country come to campus to recruit students for internships or jobs. This is something that sets High Point University apart, they set you up for success, whether that be finding a graduate school or full-time employment. I also used the Office of Career and Professional Development to update my resume and my LinkedIn profile. I met with April Cosner before attending a career fair and found the experience very useful. She knows exactly what companies look for, and helped me tweak my resume so I could grab a company’s interests. I have also used their office to help me with employment on campus, which is what lead me to find a position at the Survey Research Center.”

Most impactful mentor at HPU: “Every year there are professors that I become close with and share a bond with. All of them have helped me in different ways, whether that be supporting me academically or having someone to talk to. The most impactful mentor I have had at HPU though is Brian McDonald, the assistant director of the Survey Research Center. I joined the center during my freshman year and have worked there my entire college career. He has helped me grow my professional skills and has always given me advice for my plans post-graduation. Anytime I have a question or concern, he will always be there to answer it and lead me in the right direction.”

Most impactful moment at HPU: “Joining a fraternity was my most impactful moment at HPU, as it set up my four years at this university. So much of my time has been spent with the brothers of my fraternity and it really helped me build lasting connections. Fraternities create a bond that will last a lifetime. My best memories at this school have been made with my fraternity brothers, and so many connections for internships and job opportunities sprouted from my time in a fraternity.”

Advice for underclassmen: “Utilize the resources that HPU has available for us and get involved on campus. Join the club you are interested in, rush a fraternity or sorority, run for student government; you only have four years at this amazing university so make the most of your experience. It goes by faster than you think, so don’t pass up on the opportunities this school has to offer you. Also, I advise you to get a job on campus. I worked for the Survey Research Center for four years and learned a ton of skills that will help me in the future.”