Welcome to the Interior Design Program at High Point University. Housed in the School of Art and Design, equal emphasis is placed on commercial and residential design, given our longstanding relationship with High Point Market and nationally recognized design leaders. The curriculum emphasizes critical and creative thinking skills, integration of course modules and opportunities for internships and study abroad experiences.
Interior design is one of HPU’s top majors
- Students have exclusive access and longstanding relationships with the High Point International Home Furnishings Market
- Exposure to all facets of design gives students marketability to employers and flexibility in the workplace, making them perfect candidates for promotions and lateral moves
- Students have the opportunity to graduate with a design certificate from Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute in Florence, Italy
- Students have access to top design leaders, giving them opportunities to interact with industry professionals
- The curriculum is divided into four parts: the profession of interior design, design communications, social and cultural exploration, and building technologies and studio
- Students graduate with a bachelors of science
- The Interior Design Program has CIDA Accreditation and meets educational requirements for practicing designers applying to take the NCIDQ Exam
In recognition of the needs of the industry, HPU’s Core Competencies, and our regional accrediting body, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the faculty has identified a single, comprehensive outcome.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Interior Design program possess the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully meet the job requirements for entry-level positions in Interior Design.
The faculty has identified 6 programmatic goals essential for students to achieve the aforementioned outcome. They will demonstrate the ability to:
- Define problem as it relates to the field of Interior Design.
- Engage in pre-design investigations that demonstrate the ability to gather and analyze relevant information, evaluate issues, and set priorities.
- Explore and generate creative solutions via a systematic and coordinated design process that integrates functional and aesthetic concerns.
- Justify and defend design solutions as they relate to relevant criteria derived from the problem/program or larger concepts that recognize best practices or innovation (e.g., socioeconomic, sustainability, global issues).
- Convey (written, graphic, oral) intent in a professional manner as appropriate to the audience.
- Utilize life skills to enhance productivity, flexibility, adaptability and collegiality (presentation, leadership, time management, commitment, life-long learners, curious minds).
Unparalleled access to the High Point Furniture Market
Located in one of the largest metropolitan areas in North Carolina, High Point University has direct ties with the community and many businesses in the surrounding area that offer internship opportunities in interior design. Students also have access to the High Point Furniture Market, the premier furniture and design exhibition in the world, which is held twice a year during the fall and spring semesters. The High Point Furniture Market gives students a unique opportunity to connect, work and learn alongside leading industry professionals from around the world.
Interior design partnership in Italy
HPU interior design majors have the unique opportunity to graduate not only with a four year degree, but also with a concentration certificate from the Lorenzo de’ Medici Institute in Florence, Italy. Students have the opportunity to travel abroad in their junior spring semester to study design in the geographic heart of design — Italy. Students are completely immersed in Florentine culture, and are instructed by professors native to Florence.
Students earn certificates in:
- Visual Communication for Fashion
- Retail Design
- Product Design Towards Sustainability
What can I do with a degree in interior design?
HPU alumni with degrees in interior design currently have careers in:
- Computer-Aided Design
- Commercial Interior Design
- Healthcare Facilities Design
- Hospitality and Entertainment Facilities Design
- Merchandising Management
- Residential Interior Design
- Retail Design
- Retail Store Management
Job placement rates