School of Art & Design Computer Requirements
Graphic Design—Minimum Computing Requirements
The Recommended Computer System: The Apple Macintosh remains the dominant computer in the print design, publishing, and multimedia design industries. We recommend the MacBook Pro Laptop with a minimum 2.2 GHz processor and 4GB of memory for all Graphic Design majors. The system we recommend is based on the newest Intel Core 2 Duo technology, and the software that we require for our courses follows industry standards.
Graphic Design students should purchase the current version of Creative Suite 5 Design Premium which should include Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
Interior Design – Minimum Computing Requirements
Freshman who start the program in the Fall of 2012 or after will be required to have a laptop by their junior year. Specifications will be listed for that device in the Spring of 2014 due to the pace at which technology changes. Students wishing to purchase a laptop prior to that may use the requirements listed below.
System requirements AutoCad 2012 for PC
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, or Home Premium
- AMD Athlon 64 with SSE2 technology, AMD Opteron processor with SSE2 technology, Intel Xeon processor with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology, or Intel Pentium 4 with Intel EM64T support and SSE2 technology
- 2 GB RAM
- 2 GB free space for installation
- 1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color – this is an approximation, monitors with close specs will work as well
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or later
AutoCAD for Mac
- MacBook Pro 5,1 or later (MacBook Pro 6,1 or later recommended); iMac 8,1 or later (iMac 11,1 or later recommended)
- Mac OS X v10.6.4 or later; 64-bit Intel processor
- 3 GB of RAM (4 GB recommended)
- 2.5 GB free disk space for download and installation (3 GB recommended)
- Any graphics cards on supported hardware
- 1,280 x 800 display with true color (1,600 x 1,200 with true color recommended) – this is an approximation, monitors with close specs will work as well
- All Mac OS X supported language operating systems Apple Mouse, Apple Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, MacBook Pro trackpad, or Microsoft-compliant mouse.
- Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Professional, or Home Premium edition
- Intel Core™ i5-2300 quad-core processor (2.8 GHz, 6 MB cache) or equivalent AMD processor.
- 8 GB RAM
- 5 GB free disk space
- 1,680 x 1,050 monitor with true color – this is an approximation, monitors with close specs will work as well
- Display adapter capable of 24-bit color for basic graphics; 256 MB DirectX 10-capable graphics card with Shader Model 3 for advanced graphics (find out more about recommended graphics hardware)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 (or later)
Microsoft Mouse-compliant pointing device