The Recommended Computer System: The Apple Macintosh remains the dominant computer in the print design, publishing, and multimedia design industries. We recommend the MacBook Pro Laptop with a minimum 2.2 GHz processor and 4GB of memory for all Graphic Design majors. The system we recommend is based on the newest Intel Core 2 Duo technology, and the software that we require for our courses follows industry standards.
Graphic Design students should purchase the current version of Creative Suite 5 Design Premium which should include Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
All Interior Design Majors will be required to purchase a laptop by the beginning of their sophomore year. Specifications will be updated and listed for devices every spring, due to the pace at which technology changes. It is recommended that all, Visual Merchandising Design, minors buy an equivalent laptop, please verify with instructor before purchasing. MAC laptop computers will not meet the minimum requirements.
System requirements for PC laptop –2019 / 2020
• Operating System– Microsoft® Windows® 10 PRO is required.
• Processor– 4 processors (Quad-Core) or more-, i-Series processor or AMD equivalent at 7GHz or higher is required. It is recommended, to purchase the highest processor count with the highest CPU speed at the most affordable price.
• Memory– 16 GB RAM (with the ability to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM) • Disk Space–500GB or higher Solid-State Drive is required. 5 GB of free disk space for each software installation is required,
• Video Display– Ultra-High Definition Monitor at least 1680 x 1050 with true color or equivalent – (this is an approximation, monitors with close specs will work as well) • Web Cam– An onboard or attached camera with audio and visual controls is required (HD is recommended)
• Digital Pen Tablet – 4 x 6 digital pen tablet Wacom® Intuos S or equivalent is required. • Graphics card– DirectX® 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 or higher. The video card is required to have it own dedicated RAM 4 or more GB is recommended. This is required for Adobe® and Autodesk® products)
• Web Browser– The latest version of Chrome® and/or equivalent is required. • Internet Connectivity – The latest version and/or speed of a Wired and Wireless LAN (802.11) is required. Internet connection and registration are necessary for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to Online services
• Pointer device– 3 button, Microsoft -compliant, mouse with scroll wheel required. An ergonomic mouse is highly recommended.
• Portable Solid-State Hard Drive- 4 TB or higher Western Digital® Passport/Elements or equivalent is required.
NOTE: Autodesk® provides free, student version software. SketchUp® and Adobe® offers, student, software at a discounted price. Instructions, for all required software, will be provided at the beginning of the sophomore year. A 3 button, Microsoft® -compliant, mouse is required to operate software on all laptops. Students may purchase a 2 IN 1 laptop/tablet, as long as it meets the above specifications, but please verify with instructor before purchasing as they be non upgradeable and / or too costly.