Graphic Design—Minimum Computing Requirements
The Required Computer System: The Apple Macintosh remains the industry standard computer in the print design, publishing, and multimedia design industries. We require the MacBook Pro Laptop with a minimum 2.2 GHz 6-core processor with a Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, and 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory for all Graphic Design majors. The system we recommend is based on the newest technology, and the software that we require for our courses follows industry standards.
Graphic Design students should purchase the current version of Adobe Creative Cloud which should include Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Dimension, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Muse, Adobe Spark, Adobe Lightroom, and Adobe Acrobat
Operating System – Mac® OS X® 10.13.6 “High Sierra” or higher
- Processor – 2.2GHz 6 core 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, or equivalent
- Memory – 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory / RAM, **Recommended: 64GB Memory / RAM
- Disk Space – Minimum: 512GB SSD storage, **Recommended: 1TB SSD storage
- Video Display – Retina display with True Tone
- Graphics Card – Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 memory
- Ports – Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
- Connectivity – Wired and Wireless LAN (802.11). Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services
- External Portable Hard Drive – LaCie Rugged Mini 4TB USB 3.0 / USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive (LAC9000633) (Reformat to Mac OS Journaled using disk utility before you use.)
- Tablet- Recommended: iPad Pro 1T with Apple Pencil or Wacom Intuos Drawing Tablet
- Camera – Recommended: Access to a high quality camera (Nikon DSLR) or high quality smart phone camera.
- Adapters – Recommended: 2 x USB-C to USB Adapter
These requirements are for the 2020-2021 academic year.
BFA, Graphic Design – Required by Sophomore year.
BA, Design Studies – Required by Junior year
All Interior Design Majors will be required to purchase a PC laptop, by the beginning of their sophomore year. Specifications will be updated and listed for devices every spring, due to the pace at which technology changes. It is recommended that all Visual Merchandising Design minors buy an equivalent laptop, please verify with instructor before purchasing. Macintosh laptop computers will not meet the minimum requirements.
System requirements for PC laptop –2020 / 2021
- Operating System– Microsoft® Windows® 10 PRO is required.
- Processor– Multi-core processor (Quad-Core or more is required, 6 or more is Recommended), i7- Series or higher or AMD equivalent is required. It is recommended, that you purchase the highest and most affordable CPU speed available.
- Memory– 16 GB RAM, 32 is recommended (must be able to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM)
- Disk Space–500GB or higher Solid-State Drive is required. 5 or more GB of free disk space for each software installation is required,
- Video Display– Ultra-High Definition Monitor at least 1680 x 1050 with true color or equivalent – (this is an approximation, monitors with close specs will work as well)
- Web Cam– An onboard or attached camera with audio and visual controls is required (HD is recommended)
- Digital Pen Tablet – 4 x 6 digital pen tablet Wacom® Intuos S or equivalent is required.
- Graphics card– DirectX® 11 capable graphics card with Shader Model 5 or higher. The video card is required to have it own dedicated RAM 4 or more GB is recommended. This is required for Adobe® and Autodesk® products)
- Web Browser– The latest version of Chrome® and/or equivalent is required.
- Internet Connectivity – The latest version and/or speed of a Wired and Wireless LAN (802.11) is required. Internet connection and registration are necessary for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to Online services
- Pointer device– 3 button, Microsoft -compliant, mouse with scroll wheel required. An ergonomic mouse is highly recommended.
- Portable Solid-State Hard Drive- 4 TB or higher Western Digital® Passport/Elements or equivalent is required.
NOTE: Autodesk® provides free, student version software. SketchUp® and Adobe® offers, student, software at a discounted price. Instructions, for all required software, will be provided at the beginning of the sophomore year. A 3 button, Microsoft® -compliant, mouse is required to operate software on all laptops. Students may purchase a 2 IN 1 laptop/tablet, as long as it meets the above specifications, but please verify with the instructor/professor before purchasing as they may be non upgradeable and/or too costly.