The Department of Mathematical Sciences at HPU offers a B.S. in mathematical economics for students wishing to study the deep interplay between mathematics and economic theory. Techniques mastered in mathematics and statistics courses provide the tools necessary to gain a rich understanding of economic models and the confidence to apply mathematics to real world applications.
What can I do with this major?
Courses leading to a B.S. in actuarial science will provide sufficient depth to prepare students for a variety of careers requiring quantitative and analytical skills in business, finance and government. Such professions include, but are not limited to:
- Bank Examiner
- Budget Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Market Research Analyst
Students with degrees in actuarial science are needed in these industries:
- Colleges and universities
- Private corporations
- Banks and investment firms
- Rating bureaus
Why should I choose this major at HPU?
• For the B.S. in mathematical economics, students take courses in mathematics, economics and statistics. They engage with faculty with expertise in each of these disciplines.
• Students gain a deeper understanding of economics by learning the mathematical and statistical techniques used in economic analysis.
• Many mathematical economics majors choose to engage in undergraduate research during their senior year. They work together with faculty in mathematics, statistics, or economics to provide an analysis of an economic topic of their choosing.
• Our robust set of courses in mathematics and statistics differentiates graduates as they enter into the corporate world. Employers know students are well versed in abstract thinking and problem solving at a high level.