Skip to Main Content
Jul 26th, 2011

HPU's Austin Dillon Races To Another Success In NASCAR World Truck Series

HIGH POINT, N.C., Feb. 17, 2011 – Austin Dillon, rising junior at High Point University and professional racer for the Richard Childress Racing Team, scored his first victory of the season recently in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race in Nashville, Tenn.

Dillon, a communication major and native of Lewisville, N.C., drove his famed black No. 3 Chevrolet truck in the Lucas Deep Clean 200 at Nashville Superspeedway on July 23 for the win.

Dillon has been racing since his early teens and has gained major recognition on the track. He is in his second year of fulltime competition in the truck series, and he was named Rookie of the Year in his first year of fulltime competition. He’s scored two other victories in the truck series in past seasons.

“I’m really serious about school and racing right now,” Dillon says. “I’m young, so now is the time to give my all to racing, and it’s also the time to get an education.”

To top off his recent win, he’s eagerly preparing for his debut in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series later this fall.

“I’m excited to be up against some of these guys who are my heroes,” he said. “As the Sprint Cup race gets closer, I feel the urge to prepare more and more, but overall I’m just really excited.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 51 countries and 46 states at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Forbes.com ranks HPU in the top 7 percent among “America’s Best Colleges.” Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. The university offers 50 undergraduate majors, 43 undergraduate minors and 14 graduate degree programs. It is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu.

# # #
Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

[email protected]