Rising Senior Dives into Marine Biology Internship in Florida

Jul 02nd, 2012

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 2, 2012 – Joelle Zambrano, a rising senior at High Point University, may be spending her summer at the beach, but she’s doing so to perform groundbreaking research at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Fla.

Zambrano is working as a student intern in a National Science Foundation-funded Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. There, she’s studying the bioactive substances of a “shark-derived conditioned media” that inhibits growth among different types of cancer cells.

“This internship is definitely helping me gain laboratory experience on NSF-funded research,” Zambrano says. “The opportunities to work with post-doctoral fellows and senior scientists are also fantastic networking tools.”

Zambrano will participate in far more than just the study of sharks at Mote Marine Laboratory. She will also work with different proteins and get the rare chance to watch sea turtles lay their eggs on the beach at night as she and a team of researchers plot their nests.

“Lab procedures that I have not performed before are easier for me to understand because of what I learned in my science classes at HPU,” she says. “My biochemistry courses this past year really helped me understand much more about the specific type of research that I’m doing at MOTE.”

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.℠ HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. HPU was selected in the 2010-2011 list of “Colleges of Distinction,” as well as one of the top green schools in the country by the Sierra Club. The university offers 44 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and 10 graduate degree programs. It is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu.

# # #
Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

phaynes@highpoint.edu