Sophomore's Internship Adds up to Valuable Experience

Jul 10th, 2012

HIGH POINT, N.C., July 9, 2012 – John Marsicano, a rising sophomore majoring in communication with a concentration in strategic communication and a minor in Chinese at High Point University, is spending this summer gaining valuable career experience with his public relations internship at The Morris+King Company in New York City.

The Morris+King Company represents clients such as AOL, National Geographic, The Ritz-Carlton, Wikipedia, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research and more. Marsicano’s responsibilities are mostly focused on the tech side of the industry which includes clients such as Aviary, Yext, Tracx, Dachis Group and Kaboodle. He compiles media lists, conducts research and creates project pitches for these clients.

“My classes at HPU have given me the basic skill set necessary to succeed here,” says Marsicano. “I have been able to apply much of what I learned in my mediated communication and human communication courses to my internship assignments.”

With hopes to eventually open his own PR firm, Marsicano says that this experience is the first step to achieving his dreams.

“This opportunity is allowing me to work and learn at a pace that will put me ahead of the curve and help me gain the knowledge necessary to succeed in the PR industry,” says Marsicano.

At High Point University, every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people.℠ HPU, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is a liberal arts institution with over 4,200 undergraduate and graduate students at campuses in High Point and Winston-Salem. It is ranked by US News and World Report at No. 3 among Regional Colleges in the South. Parade Magazine lists HPU in the top 25 private schools in the nation. HPU was selected in the 2010-2011 list of “Colleges of Distinction,” as well as one of the top green schools in the country by the Sierra Club. The university offers 44 undergraduate majors, 40 undergraduate minors and 10 graduate degree programs. It is a member of the NCAA, Division I and the Big South Conference. Visit High Point University on the Web at highpoint.edu.

# # #
Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

phaynes@highpoint.edu