Communication Major Writes Future at Huffington Post Internship

Aug 02nd, 2012

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 2, 2012 – Bronte Dakota, a rising senior at High Point University, is diving into the new age of journalism in New York City at the renowned news organization, the Huffington Post, as an impact intern.

Dakota, who is majoring in communication with a concentration in journalism, is responsible for managing the organization’s impact page as part of her internship. This involves staying up-to-date on current news regarding philanthropic endeavors, volunteer work, social justice and all things inspiring.

Additionally, Dakota has had the opportunity to perform background work for the sports initiative page covering the 2012 Summer Olympics and researching what athletes are doing for charities. She also shares the responsibility of keeping up the paper’s social media sites, including Facebook and Twitter.

“Working with the Huffington Post has already been an amazing experience,” says Dakota. “I know the skills and lessons I learn here will help me get a job once I graduate. Working on the impact section has strengthened my love of helping and has taught me how volunteerism and philanthropy are shaping my generation’s future.”

Dakota adds that HPU has assisted in preparing her for the internship at the Huffington Post.

“In my time at HPU, I have taken classes geared toward journalism and public relations, and it has definitely helped. I have been able to interview people I would have never met elsewhere, and have gotten to use programs very early on in my college career most student journalists don’t have access to.”

Dakota hopes that her summer at the Huffington Post will further her skills in software and program use, and also in communication with clients. She says she plans to continue working to combine her love for volunteering and philanthropic work with her dream of writing and blogging.

“Every time I get off the elevator on the Huffington Post’s floor, I am so excited to start work,” says Dakota. “Although, sometimes a little chaotic, it is an extremely gratifying internship.”

# # # Pam Haynes

Communication Specialist

336-841-9055

phaynes@highpoint.edu