Communication Major Interns at Fox News in NYC

08.7.2013

DSC_4941HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 7, 2013 – Rising senior Shawntay Henry is interning for the Fox News Channel this summer in New York City.

The electronic media major, from St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, is learning every part of the story-telling process from research, to pitching stories, scheduling interviews and drafting questions while she works with the Long Form Documentary Unit, which produces the Fox Files news show. Some of her work has even been highlighted on the network’s website.

Henry says her classes at High Point University set her up for success.

“Everything that I am currently doing at my internship has been somewhat of a reiteration for what I have been learning in my courses,” says Henry. “The internship has allowed me to strengthen my skills, but I did not come in blind sighted at all. As a result, I know once I graduate, I will be fully equipped and knowledgeable to have a great career.”

Henry says two professors in particular prepared her for the challenges she faces at Fox News.

“I took Dr. Nahed Eltantawy’s convergent journalism class, which not only taught me how to write a slug, but also taught me to make sure I always keep abreast of everything going on in my community, nation and world,” says Henry. “In Charisse Lazarou’s electronic media history development class, we were asked to pitch a show idea for the HBO network. When I was asked to pitch a story idea for Fox News, I was able to deliver my idea well with all of the supporting details, documents and facts that would make the story a success.”

Jun
      20
      6.20

Early Registration
      Jul
      14
      7.14

Early Registration

Bobby Robertson
    Business Plan Finalist: The Sound of Entrepreneurism
    Emily De Lena
    Business Plan Finalist: Emily De Lena’s OwlAid Provides Assistance to the Elderly
    Jessie Drew shares congratulatory handshakes and high fives with the senior citizens for the completion of two poems in the session.
    The Power of Poetry: Students Connect with Senior Citizens through ‘HPU Lifelines’