Senior’s Research Published in International Journal

02.12.2014

Smoliga and Silk 2HIGH POINT, N.C., Feb. 12, 2014 – High Point University senior Jenny Silk recently had a research article published in the international scientific journal, “Lipid Technology.” Silk, first author on the paper, worked with Dr. James Smoliga, associate professor of physiology.

For the paper, Silk collected and reviewed research regarding the potential health benefits of resveratrol, a chemical most commonly found in red wine. She looked at a multitude of studies that researched the chemical’s benefits and limitations when it came to anti-aging, anti-carcinogen, cardio-protective and anti-inflammatory effects.

Overall, Silk found resveratrol does benefit a person’s health, but that more research needs to be done before it can be recommended by doctors for any health concerns.

The biology major says she got the opportunity to work on the article through Smoliga, the latest in a series of professors who have helped her move forward in her career, and helped her earn acceptance to several medical schools.

“Throughout my time at HPU, my professors have helped me take the proper classes, get involved in a variety of extracurricular activities and assisted me as I participated in medical volunteer and research opportunities,” says Silk. “I am truly honored to have been offered the opportunity to work with Dr. Smoliga, and to now be a published author is such an accomplishment. As I will be going to medical school next year, having a published paper is a huge asset on my medical applications. Not only did the experience allow me to gain more experience in literature-based research, but it will help me in the future as I continue into medical school and beyond.”

“Jenny has an amazing work ethic and is truly thirst for knowledge,” says Smoliga. “She makes the most out of every experience and serves as a great example of the commitment necessary to achieve one’s greatest goals. I have no doubts that she will one day be an excellent doctor, and I am honored to have helped her along her pathway to medical school.”

Jun
      20
      6.20

Early Registration
      Jul
      14
      7.14

Early Registration

David Friedman
    Art Student Awarded in National Exhibition
    Bobby Robertson
    Business Plan Finalist: The Sound of Entrepreneurism
    Emily De Lena
    Business Plan Finalist: Emily De Lena’s OwlAid Provides Assistance to the Elderly