Senior Tells the Story of Cancer Survivors at Susan G. Komen Internship

Chelsie Skroback

HIGH POINT, N.C., May 2, 2014 – Chelsie Skroback, a senior at High Point University, had the opportunity to document the story of everyday heroes through an internship with the Susan G. Komen Foundation, Northwest N.C. office, in Winston-Salem this semester.

Skroback served as the communications intern where she interviewed breast cancer survivors and shared their stories through the Affiliate’s Faces of Breast Cancer project.

As a journalism major and editor in chief of the Campus Chronicle, Skroback used skills she developed both inside and outside of the classroom at HPU to write 15 stories about women who had overcome the disease. She also oversaw written segments on social media for the foundation and was in charge of their spring newsletter.

“This internship was a great experience for me because it gave me real-world experience in feature writing,” says Skroback. “I learned how to make each story unique and how to make each person and their story relatable to people who may have never been touched by cancer.

Skroback also learned about working in nonprofit organizations, as well as a professional atmosphere.

“I can’t say enough about how wonderful the atmosphere is at the Komen Northwest NC office,” she says. “After this experience, I feel more prepared for the professional world.”