Biology Major Earns Position Studying Emerald Ash Borer

Aug 27th, 2014

HIGH POINT, N.C., Aug. 27, 2014 – The U.S. Department of Agriculture hired Elizabeth Reardon, a rising sophomore at High Point University and Sandwich, Massachusetts native, to study invasive insect species in various regions of New England over the summer.

The biology major’s work focused on the biological control of the Emerald Ash Borer around the region. She also assisted in other studies of invasive species, including the Gypsy Moth and the Asian Longhorn Beetle.

“My experience working for the USDA provided me with both the confidence to explore even more science-related opportunities in the future, as I worked successfully both on my own, and as a member of a cohesive team,” says Reardon. “I am especially grateful for the exposure to a variety of work settings, and I am now more able to definitively say that I would like to pursue a career in biological research.”

Reardon says the knowledge she gained at HPU allowed her to thrive with the USDA.

“My rigorous course load during my first year at High Point University most definitely helped to prepare me for working with the United States Department of Agriculture,” she says. “The critical thinking skills I developed at HPU have also come into play on several occasions.”