HPU Adds Garite to English Department

HIGH POINT, N.C., Sept. 11, 2014 – Matthew Garite recently joined the faculty of High Point University as an instructor of English.

A native of Seaford, New York, Garite teaches sections of HPU’s freshman English composition and courses on American literature and popular culture.

Garite looks forward to providing opportunities for his students to think critically about contemporary literature.

“I enjoyed the courses I taught at HPU last spring as an adjunct, and I look forward to my new responsibilities as a full-time member of the faculty.”

In his research, Garite studies the relationship between popular culture and politics, with an emphasis on film, music and genre fiction. As an example, his dissertation examined magazines, advertisements, science fiction novels, and Hollywood dystopias and disaster films in order to track the impact of the modern environmental movement on popular conceptions of the future.

One of his essays was recently accepted for publication in a forthcoming collection called “The Next Generation: Emerging Voices in Utopian Studies.”

Garite holds a Ph.D. in English from the State University of New York at Buffalo. He earned his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts in English from Syracuse University.