Staff Storyteller: What “Our City. Our University” Means to Me

By: Holly Raulston, HPU Web Content Manager

“Our City. Our University.” Each person has their own connection with the city of High Point – the city that we work in, and that many of us call home. For me, the phrase “Our City. Our University” runs much deeper than the HPU Passport Partner program or the banners and flags around town. It is about taking an active role in the community.

I joined the HPU family last March and immediately connected to our core values of fellowship, joy, generosity, respect, gratitude, and service. As stewards of these values, it is our privilege as staff members to model them for our students both on and off campus. Of these values, service calls my name the loudest.

Last September, I joined the Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Central Piedmont and became a Big Sister to Iyonna, an eighth grader who lives off Kivett Drive.

We were matched based on our common interests and we get together twice a month to spend time with one another. We like to do craft projects, see plays, go ice-skating, and visit the trampoline park together.

Holly RaulstonIn addition to participating in fun activities, my commitment to Iyonna is to give her experiences that will inspire her, to be there for her as a mentor and role model, and help her become the first in her family to go to college.

Just like with the students at High Point University, I’m reminded every time I’m with Iyonna that “we live, they watch, they learn,” as Dr. Nido Qubein always says. Finding a few hours each month to spend with her is not difficult when I consider that we are building the foundation of a relationship that will continue after she ages out of the program and once we are on our own. I strive to teach Iyonna that to be great you need to walk side by side with great people, and I look forward to bringing her to our campus to hear innovative and brilliant people speak and see inspired music and theatre performances.

I am proud to work at High Point University. I am proud to call the city of High Point my home. And I am proud to be involved with my community in a meaningful and rewarding way. This is my city. This is my university. Together we can do extraordinary things for those around us.